Why You Should Listen?
Winning is important, but how you win is more important. In this JHS podcast, we examine how misplaced priorities in the form of trophies, medals and rankings have encouraged a “Win At All Costs” mentality, where all sorts of shenanigans end up taking place, all at expense of the true mission, developing players into young men and women who will be remembered for the way they played the game and lived their lives.
Without proper player development and enjoyment of playing the game, players will never succeed at the higher levels because they won’t be good enough, they won’t want to practice and they won’t develop the important successful life skills. As coaches we need to put our egos aside and focus on developing the players to be the best they can be.
Here are a few “Win At All Costs” strategies that don’t support long-term development: playing in zones at young ages, trapping with three different players, only playing your best players, sticking a big person under the rim never allowing them to touch the ball, constantly picking up better kids throughout the season, allowing poor body language/poor attitude, not showing up to practices but still playing over kids that show up all the time, running plays for one kid to get all the shots, etc.
The youth basketball system has been flawed for awhile and we all need to put in an effort to help fix it. Our focus should be on needs of the children, not the adults need to win. Our focus needs to be on making this game more enjoyable.
Enjoy this episode of The Jim Huber Show!
Click This Link to View a More Detailed Article From Breakthrough Basketball on Win At All Cost Mentality
What You will Hear In This Podcast
- 1:21- Why Zone Defense doesn’t develop kids for long term growth
- 2:47- What age to incorporate a Zone Defense
- 3:45- Can any player learn how to be a good defender
- 5:26- Importance of focusing on the process versus the outcome
- 7:18– “Win At All Costs” tactics that shouldn’t be used in youth sports
- 8:35- What your best players must do to help your team succeed at a high level
- 12:01- Struggles that coaches face with recruiting at the grass root and high school levels
- 13:48– What a coach can focus on to limit players leaving their program
- 15:23- The balance between winning verse player development
- 17:29- Should every kid play an equal amount of time
Please leave a reply if you have any suggestions or comments about the “Win At All Costs” mentality or hit me up at @jimhubershow
Remember: “Let’s Make The World Better Through Sports”