Why You Should Listen?
Phil Beckner remembers the late night call that changed Damian Lillard’s life, as does Damian Lillard. It was 11:30 that night when Phil’s phone rang and he saw the name Damian Lillard. His heart jumped because late night phone calls typically bring bad news. It was Damian and he asked humbly, “Coach, how do I make it to the NBA?” That’s where a bleary eyed Phil gave him the truth and uttered the words that changed his life and enabled him to become an NBA Franchise Player.
At Weber State coach Beckner was heavily involved in player development. He helped develop four league MVP’s in a six year period. He was also in charge of the defense that led the Big Sky conference in several defensive categories. While at Weber State, they made six consecutive post season appearances.
Listen to this episode of the Jim Huber Show to hear the workouts that took a guard that no one had ever heard of and turned him into one of the NBA’s best Point Guards, and NBA All-Star, and a Franchise Player for the Portland Trailblazers. As well, coach Beckner discusses the keys to selecting someone to work out your child, three simple defensive rules to apply, the importance of learning from feedback, etc. There is so much beneficial information for coaches, parents and players that is discussed throughout the show!
Enjoy this episode of The Jim Huber Show!
What You will Hear In This Podcast
- 0:27- Introduction of Phil Beckner
- 0:50- The conversation that motivated Damian Lillard to become an NBA lottery pick
- 2:00- The plan Damian Lillard followed to develop him into an NBA All-Star
- 3:43- The importance of studying film in Damian’s development
- 4:34- The value of being great at what you are good at
- 5:42- A shooting series that Damian does to sharpen his skills
- 6:51- Tips to develop an empowering mindset for shooting the basketball
- 7:46- Coach Beckner’s past role with the Oklahoma City Thunder
- 8:07- Story that describes Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook’s appetite to be great
- 9:36- Leadership traits that Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook display
- 10:36- Which is better the 1-2 stop or the hop
- 11:01- Is the dip ok for players to have in their shot
- 12:00- 3 different type of skill workouts for kids that developed Damian Lillard
- 13:58- Which is more valuable: Player Development Coach or Skill Development Coach
- 15:36- The balance between skill development and playing games
- 16:40- Weber State winning culture that produced 6 straight post season tournament appearances
- 17:37- 3 rules that made Weber State one of the best defensive teams in the country
- 20:34- The importance of focusing on defense and rebounding at the beginning of practices and film sessions
- 21:31- The willingness to get feedback from others to make yourself better
- 22:47- The Best Of: Things I Have Learned From College Coaching
- “You Don’t Coach For The Name On Your Business Card”
- “Never Let A Chemistry Person Go”
- “Players Don’t Care How Much You Know, Until They Know How Much You Care”
- 24:33- The Trifecta with coach Phil Beckner
- Movie – Pursuit of Happiness – “Until you are sleeping on the floor of a bathroom subway with your son trying to make it, then it is probably not that hard. You probably still have a fighting chance.”
- Book – Training Camp: By Jon Gordon “It is a must read for anyone who wants to be great in life. An individual who has a greater purpose in being successful.”
- Best Piece of Advice- My mom told me: “Believe in yourself and fake it until you make it.”
Follow Coach Beckner on Twitter: @PhilBeckner
Follow Nebraska Basketball on Twitter: @HuskerHoops
Find Information on Nebraska Basketball: http://www.huskers.com/
I’d love to know your thoughts after you check out the interview. What resonated? What did you learn?
Remember: “Let’s Make The World Better Through Sports”