Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Al Marshall's Aggressive 2-3 Zone Defense
"The Defense Your Opponents Will Hate!"
Dear Basketball Coach,
We're really excited to release this DVD set because it shares the secrets behind the best zone defense we have ever seen...
We're lucky because we live in Iowa near Al Marshall, who runs the absolute best zone defense we have seen anywhere. In fact, we hated playing against it! And I personally know many other coaches that hate playing against it too.
When my brother Joe played high school basketball, he HATED playing against Al Marshall's 2-3 zone because he knew it was going to be a LONG night and his team would struggle to make shots.
As coaches, we all hated playing against it. All the Haefners (Jeff, Dennis, and Joe) and all the coaches we know would say they same thing... "we have to play Cascade, I hate playing those guys. How are we going to get points??!!"
Sure we played against other zones. But nobody played it like him. I mean nobody came even close.
We never understood how Coach Marshall did it until now. Every time you played him, you never had easy shots against that zone. All your players would start rushing shots. And even when they did get open looks, the pressure was on because the shooter knew they might not get another open look for a long time. And as a result, they would usually miss. Even our good shooters just seemed to miss against them.
That's just how it was when you played Cascade.
That is why we called the DVD, "The Defense Your Opponents Will Hate". Because it's true. They will hate it.
Impressive Track Record
Coach Al Marshall has done pretty impressive things over the years...
- Led Iowa the past 7 years straight in lowest points allowed per game.
- 652 career wins at the high school level.
- Ranked 4th for all-time wins in the state of Iowa.
- 43 years of coaching experience.
- 40 district and conference championships.
We're excited that we finally convinced him to share his secrets with us.
Comprehensive Guide to Shutting Down Any Team
In this DVD set, Coach Marshall reveals all the secrets to his unique 2-3 zone defense. You learn all the drills, slides, tactics, concepts, adjustments, and everything you need to implement the defense yourself.
Unlike most DVDs which glaze over the surface, we have included everything you need to implement this defense with your team. It's almost 2 hours long and neatly organized for you to jump to the sections you need.
The Equalizer - Now You Can Compete with and Often Beat Teams that are Better Than You
This zone defense is very unique in the way it forces teams to take hurried jump shots, keeps them off the free throw line, and takes away everything easy.
It's simple and frankly genius in the way he only emphasizes a few simple concepts in both games and practices. You will learn how to do the same thing.
It works with any talent level - good or bad. This DVD set will teach how to run a zone defense the right way and the adjustments that Al Marshall made to make it extremely successful for him.
Proven to Work
The Al Marshall 2-3 Zone is a proven system that works at the high school level. This is NOT theory. Coach Marshall has led the state of Iowa for the past 6 years in a row for the lowest allowed field goal average. They set a school record by holding their opponents to an average of 31.9 PPG for the season!
When you buy other DVDs from college coaches and you try to implement their strategies at the high school level, they don't always work. The high school game is different. That is another reason why we are excited to announce this DVD for high school coaches. It is a proven system to work extremely well at the high school level. You learn exactly what to do.
This is NOT a Lazy Defense
This is not one of those defenses where players just sit back with their hands up. It's an aggressive defense that is played the right way. Players need to work and it's tough!
Attention YOUTH Coaches
If you are a youth coach working with players between the ages of 6 and 13, here's our take on how this applies to you...
We adamantly believe that youth coaches should run man to man defense so their players can develop better foot speed and coordination (not to mention many other reasons). HOWEVER, if you are an experienced youth coach that faces zone defenses, we think Al Marshall's 2-3 Zone DVD will help you. It will help you by teaching you how to effectively run a good zone defense so you can learn how to play against it. It's impossible to run an effective zone offense without understanding the defense. And as Coach Marshall shows common zone offenses and set plays, you will get ideas on how to improve your zone offense. So even though it's a defensive DVD, we believe it will help certain coaches improve their zone offense.
Now if you're an inexperienced youth coach, we believe you're better served by holding off on this particular product and instead getting products like Bob Bigelow's Coaching Youth Basketball the RIGHT WAY, Coaching Middle School Basketball the RIGHT WAY, or 60 Fun Youth Basketball Drills.
Who Should Consider This DVD Set?
This DVD is for any coach working with high school, college, or pro players. The primary target is the high school coach - both boys and girls. But we think college and pro coaches will pick up some good ideas too.
Doesn't matter which category you fit into...
- Are you looking for a secret weapon?
- Do you have lots of talent?
- Do you have NO talent?
- Do you have average talent?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, then this DVD set it a good fit for you. It is extremely effective with any talent level -- big kids, slow kids, fast kids, short kids. In high school you just never know what you'll get so the system is designed so that the talent doesn't matter.
Even "Man to Man" Coaches Will Benefit from This
Are you a man to man defense coach? Believe it or not, you will still benefit from this DVD...
In fact, I am personally a man-to-man defense coach, but I have picked up drills and concepts that I can apply to man to man and improve our defense. It also makes it easy for me to incorporate a really GOOD zone as a secondary defense, if I need to.
You can implement this as your primary defense or as a secondary defense. We think all high school coaches will benefit from this DVD.
What You'll Get in this DVD & eBook Package
Chapter 1 - Introduction and Keys to a Successful Zone Defense
- Why the Al Marshall Zone works
- The 3 critical goals that drive your defense
- The 3 critical principles you need to emphasize to make the defense effective
- Who should use the zone defense
Chapter 2 - Initial Setup and Basic Slides
- Whiteboard and on court demonstrations
- Basic slides and positioning
- How to handle various passes and situations
- How to handle screens and movement
- How to cover the short corner and high post
- Keys to a quick defense
- How to take away the easy shots
Chapter 3 - 12 Drills to Build Your Defense
- Drills to develop quickness and anticipation
- Drills to keep players in their stance
- Close out drills
- Situational drills
- Overload drills
- All the drills that Al Marshall uses to build his defense
Chapter 4 - The 2-3 Zone in Action
- Live demonstration of the zone defense
- Key teaching points
- See how the defense comes together, takes away easy shots, and frustrates the offense
Chapter 5 - Common Offenses & Teaching Points
- Learn how to defend various offenses like 4-out 1-in, short corner, and so on.
- See Coach Marshall make corrections and teach in a practice environment.
- Learn key teaching points and tips to make your zone defense more effective.
Chapter 6 - Defending Set Plays
- Learn how to defend against set plays
- See how Coach Marshall defends the common set plays that he runs into.
Chapter 7 - How to Make Adjustments
- One of the keys to their success is making adjustments. Learn how Al Marshall makes defensive adjustments.
- Learn how to make in-game adjustments
- Learn how to make adjustments based on your personnel
- Learn how to make adjustments based on your opponent
- Learn how to adjust your zone to accommodate athletic guards
- How to stop great shooters
- How to stop great post players
- Alternate coverages for you to consider
- How to extend the zone and apply more pressure
Chapter 8 - Q & A with Al Marshall
- Find out the keys to his success
- Learn how your offense can affect your defense
- Learn how to get players to buy in
- Learn how to incorporate the defense into your own program and situation
- Keys to getting a competitive edge
Chapter 9 - Closing Thoughts
- Final words of wisdom
- What you should do next and incorporating the defense in your program
Approx running time is 110 minutes.
23 Page Supplemental eBook
For your convenience, we have diagrammed the 12 drills included in the Al Marshall 2-3 zone DVD and documented a step-by-step process for you to implement the zone defense.
How Much Does it Cost?
60 Day Money Back Guarantee
If for any reason, your purchase is not what you expected, just send us a message and we'll give you a full refund. No questions asked.
If you'd like to order by telephone, call us at 1-866-846-7892 (toll free).
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us.
Breakthrough Basketball, LLC.