Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Basketball Game Strategy and How to Get an Edge Over the Competition- By Ken Sartini
How do you rate yourself in Getting an Edge over the other team? What do you do to ensure that your team has the best chance it can have to beat an opponent?
Before I get into these game strategies... let me say that the lower level coaches... 5 to 12 year olds should spend a lot more time on the fundamentals and basics of the game. As you move up the ladder, it becomes more important for you to understand how to handle different game time situations that arise.
Watching one of the Bulls play off games got me thinking about game strategy. Subbing, clock management, and time outs are not Vinnie Del Negro's forte. NOT having the right people on the floor in crunch time..... shooting too EARLY and allowing the other team to get a last second shot off.. and NOT having a TIME OUT in crunch time. I believe this cost them the game!
OK, now that I have vented a little bit.... here are my thoughts on game strategy:
Please visit each link below to find out how I handle these situations. Then please share your opinion on each page so we can develop a resource for coaches to get different opinions and strategies to handle game situations.
- Do you save a time out for a last second shot in the game?
- Do You Have a Three Point Defense?
- Do you sub to keep your players fresh and out of foul trouble?
- Do you take a player out of the game if you are shooting free throws late in quarters 1-2-3 so he doesn't pick up a cheap foul?
- Do You Sub Offense / Defense (During Dead Ball Situations)?
- Do you sub at free throws to stop the team from running a break.. so you can sub and set up pressure of some kind?
- Do you change defenses coming out of a time out or the beginning of a quarter?
- Do you run a set play coming out of a time out or beginning of a quarter?
- At what point do you decide to take the last shot of the quarter... so the other team can't get a shot or you don't pick up a useless foul?
- Do you have set plays with a couple of good options for your best shooters?
- Do you have a play when you want to MISS a free throw ( I didn't - dumb me )
- Are you predictable when you change defenses or full court press? (as for pressing I was... not so much for half court defenses)
- Do you run "situations" as part of your daily practice plan?
Coaching ResourcesHow To Win at the End - Volume 1 - Over 35 situational end of game plays.
How To Win at the End - Volume 2 - Over 45 situational end of game plays for different situations than Volume 1.
Tempo Control & Delay Sets - Control the game and protect the lead with 12 different sets to choose from.