All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 05:24 

Very well put together DVD set! Has anyone implemented this system fully?

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2014, 06:39 

I was Keith's assistant for a number of years, so yes... we ran it very successfully every year. There were a number of conference and district and regional championships and several visits to the Michigan State tournament... so it worked very well for us!

After Keith moved on, I was assistant for two other very good coaches, but we tried some other things and got away from Keith's uptempo system, and our record reflected the change... from powerhouse, to just another decent team.

Keitih's system is great because it allows so many players to get in the game... playing time. We always went about 10 into our bench, and sometimes more... run, run, run.... players subbing in and out. More happy parents seeing their kids getting to play.

Dr. Jim Gels
Coach's Clipboard

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 21:48 

Coach Gels

Any words of wisdom while implementing this system? What would be the fewest number of kids to play this system? What kind of substitution pattern did you use?

Any direction and information you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

Heath

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 07:22 

Keith lays it out pretty well in the DVDs. You probably need at least 10, for practices if nothing else. You develop your sub pattern based on your players... post for post, PG for PG, forwards for forwards, etc... every 3-4 minutes or when they seem to be getting tired, or fouls. We rarely subbed 5 at a time... usually 1 - 3 at a time.

The matchup press page on Coach's Clipboard is what we ran, and the 80-60-40 press breakers. We ran either 3-2 motion offense or 4-out depending on our post players. We had some set plays we would call. Tried Read and React for a couple seasons but Keith liked the 3-2 or 4-out better.

We played all m2m pressure defense... Dick Bennett style... no zones. All of our stuff is on Coach's Clipboard website, but I would get the DVDs!

Good luck,
Coach Gels

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 12:53 

Coach Gels,

Did you consider employing more of an all out, zone pressure type of defense to compliment the aggressive pressure-style of offense you were running in Coach Haske's system? I am thinking of Grinnell College who tries to combine a relentless full court zone pressure defense to keep the game's tempo high and to employ constant stress on their opponents. Did you find your man-to-man, Dick Bennett-style of defense, able to keep enough continual pressure on your opponent? Did you look at any run-and-jump in the full court? Thanks for sharing your experiences.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 13:52 

We ran all man-to-man... no zones. It's hard to push tempo when you sit back in a zone... we felt that m2m forces the issue more. Our pressing system was a matchup press... ala Rick Pitino, when he was at Kentucky. The run and jump is incorporated in our press rules... so yes we did that too. It's outlined in that article on the Matchup Press.

Coach Gels

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 09:12 

Coach Gels,

I have the article and I have read it numerous times. I have considered employing a full court match-up zone pressure defense (much like the one you have used). In the past, we chose to play more zone (dropping back into a 2-3 after attacking with a 1-2-1-1 full court) and pressure the ball in the half court from our 2-3 zone look. We found that we were able to utilize our bench better (and more effectively) by playing an uptempo style on both offense and defense which gave us needed depth for this style.

Our marginal players (and we had our share of them) were able to appropriately compete against our opponents' better people by utilizing shorter shifts (ala Grinnell). I will say that by pressing offensively and defensively you do need to develop a deeper bench because the players are continually sprinting/transitioning from offense to defense to offense. Generally speaking, fouls were not an issue for us because we played 11 to 13 players every night. Our practice planning mixed and matched numerous combinations of players . . . we just wanted to have a point guard and a post player in each group. Having an "odd" (non-multiple of 5) number of players forced our group to develop "unusual" or atypical player combinations when we scrimmaged. The players often decided who the teams were (as a coach I was able to put some restrictions on this . . . "Tommy has to be with John for the next 5 minutes") which increased our overall flexibility/depth for games.

Coach Gels, did you consider utilizing a match-up look over the full court? Thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 09:56 

You've got it! Well thought out.

Fouls... that's one of the things that can really hurt a pressing team. Your kids must learn how to press and play defense without fouling. Hate those fouls 90 feet from the basket.

When I mentioned we ran a matchup, I meant full-court... you might be looking at the wrong article. This is the matchup press page:
http://www.coachesclipboard.net/MatchupPress.html

Coach Gels

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 12:48 

No, I have the right article and it is well put together. I am just saying that in the past, I had considered employing a full court, match-up zone pressure defense that could adjust to whatever our opponents were trying to do against us. This defense would not be a part of a defensive package but would be our primary defense. I think your ideas of adjusting your match-up press versus different offensive fronts was very sound along with your thoughts of adding in the run and jump as well as varying the pickup points when pressing.

My thinking of using one type of pressure defense that attacked the offense throughout the game and over the entire court came from the "Ball Press" people (Illinois HS coaches Virgil Fletcher and Loren Wallace along with their followers) and was much like your 1-2-2 3/4 court presses outlined on the "CoachesClipboard" site. Originally, we wanted to press as quickly as possible following a made shot, a missed shot, a ball out of bounds, or following a lost ball (turnover). I think this concept has a lot of merit as the majority of HS teams do not pressure the ball after a missed shot.

Do you think your better teams could transition from offense to defense quickly enough after a missed field goal attempt or following an opponent's steal? Do you believe it would be too difficult to press effectively after missed FGs and/or turnovers? Thanks.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 15:17 

Like anything, you have to practice it. You can teach them whatever you want them to do by practicing, preaching and drilling.