All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2014, 05:41 

My boy made into a select /competitive team. But he barely gets to play in tournament games. It doesn't look like coach feels comfortable using new players. Even with big lead on the team, my son still doesn't get play that much.
His skills are better than most of the starters in my opinion. He has been working with a private trainer. Only thing he lacks is team skills.

sitting on the bench can't be good for his confidence. additionally if he doesn't play, he can't get better or prove himself.

any advise on what to do?

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2014, 05:51 
Site Admin

I forget... how old is he?

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2014, 05:53 

6th grader

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2014, 07:02 

At this age he should be getting some playing time...... this might not be the rigtht fit for him. Find a team where he will get some playing time. JMO

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2014, 09:58 

This is actually a problem with certain AAU programs and travel teams.

There are good programs out there that with their youth levels, they play the kids fairly and make sure every kid at least gets a chance.

But there are other programs that don't; once they have your money, they cater to the best kids and leave others on the bench.

It is why it is important to background check a program before joining it. Find parents who are involved, coaches who have worked for the program and coaches who have coached against it. Find out what they are about.

As far as the current situation: repetitions are what it is all about. I agree with everyone that at the 6th grade level, no kid should be left on the bench. I had a falling out with a girls 7th grade program over this exact issue.

I'm not certain what the options are for you.
Politely inquire about playing time to the coach, but do it during the week, and not immediately following the tournament. Give yourself time to cool down and the coach time to get away from it too. Then approach it coolly and calmly. What can my son do to earn more minutes?

In terms of improvement, I always felt skills were developed more away from games. Repetitions were the key, and you can get more from practice than you can waiting for your turn to come up in games.

These are just my thoughts. Obviously I hope he starts playing more. If he doesn't I hope that the solution that is reached is amicable, at least for your son. Nothing can turn a joyful sport into a joyless experience quite like the kind of situation you are referring to.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2014, 15:56 

thanks for all the replies. I will schedule a meeting with coach next week over this.
but can anyone tells me why winning becomes the only goal for these type of tournaments? after winning, it's just a trophy or metal. Is it coach's pride or organization's reputation at stake?

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2014, 16:01 

I know what it was for the organization I was working for.

They want to win to achieve notoriety. They showcase their best players for that same reason.

Getting the wins and players with reps makes them better known.

Which means when they approach new talent to bring them into the system, they have probably already heard of the program.

Getting those players allows them to win tournaments.

Which increases the reputation.

Which allows them to gain access to talent.

And the cycle goes on and on. The sad thing is when talent gets poached from organizations who do things the right way: focus on player development, create a good experience for all kids. They get poached because some organization says "We will get you into college. We will get you into a bigger college. We will make you sought after". The parents get starry eyed, and they drift away from the organization that took the time to work with their kid and develop them into what they became in the first place.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2014, 17:24 

briansass wrote:
Getting those players allows them to win tournaments.

Which increases the reputation.

Which allows them to gain access to talent.

Here is what bothers me about this Brian ......We are talking about 10-11 year old kids here.... do those coaches want to be nominated to the 6 grade hall of fame? There goal should be to teach them the fundamentals of the game, get them ready to play at the next level and to have some FUN....Winning is a by product of a fundametaly sound team and NOT at the expense of sitting a bunch of 10/11 year olds. JMO

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2014, 17:26 

You know what, it's not just about winning. they wanted blowout. In one game yesterday, my son's team score was double of the other team. his team led the score all the time at every turn. Yet my son didn't get to play that much until the very last moment when the game was ending. He was put out as if to show that he actually had play time. a couple of other players had similar treatment.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2014, 17:29 

Ken, that was why that organization parted ways after the first tournament. Fundamental disconnect about the purpose of youth sports.

Made me sick.