All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2014, 07:32 

Hi!

I have some questions about Motion Offense

1. Who can make decisions in M.O.? Is it the player with the ball or can all 5 players make decisions they think is best at any time?

2. Can you get 5 player coordination in M.O., and how?

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2014, 07:59 

I think that all 5 players have to think the game and keep moving..... even IF its just cut and replace.

The person with the ball has to read playes screening for him... making cuts to the basket or flashing to an open spot. Read the defense all the time and react.

Everyone has to read the defense, IF you are standing stil for any length of timel, you are doing something wrong JMO

larschristianalm wrote:

This takes a lot of practice. we ran an open post offense and they all had to work together ---- cut to open spors and know where they are at according to your system. Will they mess up fr om time to time? Of course... I told my players.... just find the open spot and get there .... or you can back screen for another player... but fill the spots.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2014, 10:44 

As a coach, you have to establish which motion offense you want to run along with rules/guidelines within that offense. I like Coach SAR's mantra of K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid), especially when starting out with a new motion offense. The rules/guidelines help keep player's from cutting through the lane at the same time or cutting in front of a player driving to the basket. I think with some basic rules/guidelines, shell drills in practice, and patience, you can get a good motion offense going. Check out the link at below for more info on motion offenses.

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/motion-offenses.html

I've found that no matter what motion offense you run, if the basic fundamentals within that offense aren't practiced and executed, the offense will flounder. Breaking down a motion offense into key components is paramount. Some examples:

1) Setting up cuts by taking your opponent the opposite way first

2) Sprinting your cuts - too many kids cut at half speed

3) Cutting ALL the way to the basket - a lot of times players cut 1/2 or 3/4 of the way to the basket

4) Waiting for a screen - Player's leave way too early when their teammate is setting a screen. This makes the screen ineffective. In practice, we tell our players setting a screen to yell out "WAIT! WAIT!" so the person receiving the screen waits.

5) Having the person receiving a pass wait for a half count to see what's developing on the court before immediately dribbling or passing.

6) If you can see the numbers on a cutting player's jersey, you'd better be passing the ball to them.

7) Fill the open spot, usually up and above you.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2014, 12:24 

Coach Sar wrote:
I think that all 5 players have to think the game and keep moving..... even IF its just cut and replace.

The person with the ball has to read playes screening for him... making cuts to the basket or flashing to an open spot. Read the defense all the time and react.

Everyone has to read the defense, IF you are standing stil for any length of timel, you are doing something wrong JMO

larschristianalm wrote:

This takes a lot of practice. we ran an open post offense and they all had to work together ---- cut to open spors and know where they are at according to your system. Will they mess up fr om time to time? Of course... I told my players.... just find the open spot and get there .... or you can back screen for another player... but fill the spots.

Cut and replace: who does this, at what time and why?

Keep moving: when do a player move and where to? And why?

The person with the ball has to read players screening for him: you mean ball screens?

making cuts to the basket or flashing to an open spot: when and how? What if the ballhandler decides to the drive and a player without the ball decides to cut at the same time, would'nt that cause problems with coordination?

What about reading the player with the ball?

If players mess up how can the work their way out of it?

When can you set a backscreen?

Filling spots: you mean spots for formations 5OUT, 3out 2in and 4out 1 in?

Is open post offense the same as the 5OUT formation?

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2014, 12:35 

Coach Rob wrote:

I've found that no matter what motion offense you run, if the basic fundamentals within that offense aren't practiced and executed, the offense will flounder. Breaking down a motion offense into key components is paramount. Some examples:

5) Having the person receiving a pass wait for a half count to see what's developing on the court before immediately dribbling or passing.

Can you work on fundamentals while working on the offense?
Do you need all five players at the same time to work on M.O.?
Pass-receivers waiting to see what's developing before dribbling, passing or shooting: what should he look for? What if he has a chance to shoot, drive or pass to an open teammate the moment he catches the ball?

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2014, 12:44 
Site Admin

It's interesting, you ask 5 coaches how to run motion offense and you'll get 5 different answers. That's the great thing. There's a lot of different ways to go about teaching and running a motion. There is no right or wrong way.

As long as you have spacing, ball movement, player movement, and take good shots.... the details of how you go about it don't matter a whole lot.

I emphasize:
1) spacing. this is emphasized and taught constantly!
2) ball movement

That's about it. In order to get the the ball moving we need to get player movement, otherwise there will be very few passes.

From there I teach them to recognize situations. If you are one pass away from the ball, there are 4 things you can do..
- go away from the ball (for example screen away)
- go to the ball (for example go ball screen, receive a hand off, or pitch back)
- go to the basket (you could basket cut or receive a back screen)
- or go away from the basket (pop out to get a better angle to receive a pass and keep the ball moving)

It doesn't matter what you do, just do one of those 4 things and try to mix it up (don't be predictable and do the same thing every time).

As long as you get players maintaining good spacing, moving, and passing the ball... you'll be in good shape. Doesn't matter too much how you go about doing those things.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2014, 14:10 

larschristianalm wrote:
Cut and replace: who does this, at what time and why?

Keep moving: when do a player move and where to? And why?

The person with the ball has to read players screening for him: you mean ball screens?

making cuts to the basket or flashing to an open spot: when and how? What if the ballhandler decides to the drive and a player without the ball decides to cut at the same time, would'nt that cause problems with coordination?

What about reading the player with the ball?

If players mess up how can the work their way out of it?

When can you set a backscreen?

Filling spots: you mean spots for formations 5OUT, 3out 2in and 4out 1 in?

Is open post offense the same as the 5OUT formation?

*The player trying to get open can make a basket cut and return to his spot. CUT AND REPLACE
*The idea of moving is to make yourself harder to coave (IF YOU DON'T MOVE EVEN I CAN COVER YOU)
Cut with a purpose... V Cut and go to the basket and llike Rob said, go all the way to the rim
*2 players making the same but can cause problems... thats why you have to read each other.... someone has to react and change their direction.
*IF a player messes up all he has to do is find an open spot on the floor at the very least
*Setting a backscreen is coming up behind a player - giving him one step and set yourself, then the person utilizing the screen can cut to the basket or where he wants to go
* 5 out and Open Post are pretty much the same offense.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2014, 15:23 

larschristianalm wrote:
Coach Rob wrote:

Can you work on fundamentals while working on the offense?
Do you need all five players at the same time to work on M.O.?
Pass-receivers waiting to see what's developing before dribbling, passing or shooting: what should he look for? What if he has a chance to shoot, drive or pass to an open teammate the moment he catches the ball?

This is one of the better videos that explains the basics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xAzANFC74c

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2014, 09:06 

This is one of the better videos that explains the basics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xAzANFC74c[/quote]

That video is Layer 1 of the Read & React Offense, a system that I have used for four years. Allthough you can find some of the actions of R&R in motion offense, motion offense is not the same as R&R. The differences are who can make decisions and who can not.

I Guess I'm trying to explore the differences between these two ways to play the game.

So if I have understood correctly:

Decision-making in Motion Offense:
1. Player With the ball:
has freedom to choose the following actions: shoot, pass, dribble

2. Perimeter players and post players without the ball:
has the freedom to choose these actions at any time: do any type of cut, set or use any type of screen

3. Players who pass (both perimeter players and post players):
have the freedom to choose these actions: any type of cut, stand still, Space away, to an open spot, do any type of screen

Does M.O. require players With high b-ball iq's to be effective? (I'm not forgetting good skills With the ball and athletic ability)

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2014, 10:22 
Site Admin

I think the situations you listed on on track. I'm sure there are more situations and things you can do, but you covered most of it.

With that said, a motion could be less than that too. It all depends on your rules. Some coaches might disagree but the Dribble Drive and Princton offenses are motion too. However the rules for those motion offenses cut back on some of those options and emphasize more dribble drive. Or in the princton more cutting is emphasized.

Having players with high IQ and decision making skills helps tremendously with motion offense. That combined with skill can really propel your offense to a whole new level. However those high IQ players help tremendously with R & R, continuities, etc too.

I've had seasons where players watched too much NBA, jab stepped 50 times whenever they caught the ball, had now idea when to pass, and made terrible decisions. We ran motion anyway and our offense was mediocre at best. I could have run a continuity or another offense, but our offense still would have been mediocre at best. I would still run motion with those teams with poor decision making and low IQ. However I might adjust the motion a little trying to drive players toward things they are good at and steer them from things they are bad at. Sometimes that is as simple as role definition for each player.