All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 27 May 2014, 22:27 

Coaches,
I'm a coach newbie currently coaching a college team in Vietnam. Just FYI, college level in Vietnam isn't the same as in the States, and if I may, I'd say it is even below high school level basketball in the States.

There is a particular weakness of Vnese players which is they don't run with emergency. After a basket made they are slow on returning to D, and also they are slow in getting the ball back to the floor.

For that reason, I think it'd be an advantage for my team if I could exploit that particular weakness by quickly inbounding the ball back to the floor after our team is scored. I believe this is called "quick inbound", isn't it?

Here I have a favor to ask; could you respected coaches show me how to run that quick inbound? Breaking down to how each position on the floor should think/operate? There are sources that say you should get a big man run down right the middle of the floor from basket to basket; some other sources say you should get a fast and better handler to run down the wing. Which is the better way to do?

Thank you,

Zim

PostPosted: 27 May 2014, 23:23 

Zim -

Greetings! One of my son's lived in Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City) for the past year and taught English. He enjoyed his time there immensely, the food, culture, and scenery.

I think your philosophy of getting the ball up the court quickly is a good one, especially from what you've described about the defense being slow to get back. I would encourage you to consider developing a good fast break, which is basically getting the ball up the court quickly on missed shots or turnovers. You can instill the same philosophy when inbounding the ball after a shot is made, but I think you'll find more success using the fast break mentality on defensive rebounds. When inbounding, you have to wait for the ball to get out of the net, whereas a defensive rebound or turnover can get you going quicker.

Here's a link on this site describing fast breaks:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/transition-fast-break-offense.html

Personally, I tend to go with a more free flow than a numbered break, but that's just me.

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 09:44 

Hi Coach Rob,
It's always great to hear foreigners speaking so fondly of your country, thank you.

I am developing fast breaks for my team and the link you provided is just exactly what I need. I'll look into it for a while and will post back with more questions! It seems like the same can be applied to my quick inbound thingy.

Thank you!

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 11:03 

Please do check back and let us know how it's going or if you have more questions.

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 11:04 

Coach Zim -

The key to having a good running team is to work on it every day in practice. After free throws, after working on your offense or defense, turnovers etec. This is something that has to be ingrained into their thinking.

You can use a primary break or a secondary break, whatever fits your needs. As for me, I liked the secondary break... it was almost like a whole other offense.