All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014, 05:54 

Hi Coaches,

In our team's 3 out Read and React I would like to utilize a version with a low post and pinch post. I have a player that would be ideal. I'm thinking the pinch post could move from elbow to step outside the elbow(does this spot compromise spacing with a wing?) to short corner. I will have both posts stay on a designated side. When the pinch post catches high, the low post will slide to the short corner as I'm attempting to isolate my pinch post 1 on 1. Do you have any ideas for post action and rules? What is the best way for the pinch post to get open?

Thank you

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 05:57 
Site Admin

Spacing will be fine as long as wing players adjust as the ball and their team-mates move. That is unless you want them to stay in precise spots on the perimeter. Then it could result in bad spacing. But I'm not sure why you would to do that.

If you are using the actual Read and React offense, then you might want to follow the rules that they use. But if you are running a true fee form motion offense, then I don't think you need many rules and you give them freedom. A rule could be to require one post touch before you shoot. Maintain spacing is a rule you always want. Another could be don't stay for more then 2 seconds.

As Don Kelbick has taught me, I'm not a fan of having a lot of rules because it results in player indecision (too much thinking). So we mostly focus on spacing,concepts, and role definition. And keep the rules to a minimum and quite simple.

I would think that basic fundamental spacing concepts are most important when catching the ball in the pinch post. Players should learn how to adjust and maintain spacing as your pinch post guy makes plays.

As far as getting open, the pinch post can set back screens and then open up to the ball. And/or he can use footwork to get open... if the D plays you high, take him high and beatem low. If the D plays you low, take him low and beatem high. Kinda hard to explain in text because you need to understand the footwork. But this is all demonstrated in the Attack & Counter Fundamental DVDs we have coming out this summer. Maybe something to consider when it comes out.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 07:34 

I agree with Jeff. We ran the Open Post offense and to me the most important thing was floor balance... keep moving, read the D and react. D is high, fake a step and back door to the rim. D is low, jam him low and ome out high, making a cut anywhere you will be open.

Those were our only rules... we tried to keep it very simple. I think that almost every offense is all about spacing. JMO

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 17:13 

I would think an entry to the elbow or just outside the elbow would open up that wing player for a relocation to the corner and even possibly a backcut (laker cut low) with circle movement to fill the perimeter spots. If the pinch post looks to dribble drive with his 1on1, then you get the natural pitch action to the wing sliding to the corner.

I also like the idea of a high post player backscreening for a player that just made a perimeter pass.