All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2014, 08:34 

Hi
I'm a mother of a 14 year old who is an A+ student and has been playing basketball since she was about 8 years old. Last Friday I picked her up from her middle legues school game and she was crying/ sobbing all the way home. Her couch had divided all the girls into two teams "the starters" and 'the bench'. So during the games if the starters are winning he would change ALL the players and he would put all the bench at the same time, so you can imaging when all the bench plays they get the other team to get more baskets in ... My daughter felt everyone blaming her for all the baskets in... We just don't understand why he is not rotating all the girls during the games instead he had to rotate 'teams'. While watching I found out that one player pretended to had an injury one week ago to quit the team.

I'm a psychiatrist and this is what a I see is a a really good reason to hate basketball and I don't want her to quit playing basketball ( she plays on her own about 2 hours daily) so I'm think she should quit this season so she won't end up devastated like the girls at the boston university team.

Any suggestions???? Do you have any studies on this way of couching? Thanks for any help/information you could email me.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2014, 11:10 

I cant answr for the other coach, maybe they have rules about playing every kid in different quarters... they have that rule around here. I'm not so sure that quitting is the answer.... she is 14 and will be in high school next year or at the least have a different coach?? Things should be different then.

Are there any AAU teams in your area? OR parks and rec teams where she could play and have some fun? *IF your daughter loves the game, I would have her go to some camps and encourage her to work on her game... improve upon it and show the coach she deserves some time with the first 5.