All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2014, 09:47 

Our team is 5-7 yr kids im just helping out the coach. we have been teaching very very basic stuff to the kids. what i have noticed is the kids get destracted very easy. i hate to say this but you have some parents that want stand on the side line and yell out commands. it gets the kids all confused. the kids get destracted at everything from stuff on the walls to a person walking in the door. what i have been doing is let the kid play a qtr and set out the next. is there anything else you can do for kids this small, so they can have fun and stay interested. i feel this time in there life they should be loving what there doing.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2014, 11:14 

Having FUN is #1 ..... maybe you can talk to the parents and ask them not to give them directions as it distracts them.

Heck, at that age, everything distracts them -

I like your approach for kids this age and what you are doing.

At practice you can keep things moving ..... drills short and fun

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2014, 12:17 

i have looked through the drills on this site and few others. picked out the most simple drills i can find. over the season the kids got where they could do the drill great. when should i try to run a play. ive looked every where for a very simple play that they can remember.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2014, 13:33 

A play is just that...a play... something else they have to remember. How about a 5 out pass and cut offense?

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/open-post-offense.html

Make this as simple as you can and let them have fun.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2014, 13:37 
Site Admin

Yep. Spread out on the free throw line. When you pass the ball, basket cut. If you are covered, basket cut.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2014, 13:56 

Unfortunately, parents can always be a distraction at any level. Best bet is to include a blurb about "coaching the your kid on the sidelines" in the preseason coach's letter to parents. You could even send out an email now touching a few points you'd like to cover and include the parents coaching thing.

-Plan your practices (on paper) - give some thought to your drills. Are they more game-like and fun or are kids standing in lines and doing more technical drills?

-Have extra drills handy (on paper) so you can switch if the current drill isn't working

-Expect some distracted kiddos and give them a way to blow off some of that energy. In other words, tire them out with a fun drill. It could be something goofy for 5 minutes that has nothing to do with teaching a bball skill, but they get to run around and be goofy.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2014, 10:11 

None of ourkids can shoot out side but 2 kids and 1 of the 2 can bomb the heck out of it. most teams pick up on the little guy that can shoot, they will double team him and leave a huge opening for the other kids. coach has them playing 3-2 offence and will make the comment they need to stay in there spots. I want them moving passing screening and moving. but if the post players come out coach will yell stay in your spots. i have noticed the gaurds will also stay in there spots and not move. what happens is after the first pass the ball is stolen or the one with the ball get tripple teamed.I do all the drills with the kids, coach only wants coach 5 on 5 for a hour. btw the coach likes the drills, listens and likes me helping out. the school had no coach and wanted volunteers.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2014, 19:06 

Why does he want them to stay in one spot? Heck, I could defend that. LOL