All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2013, 13:37 

Hand checking is something that should receive warnings first and then be called, imo. Similar to 3 seconds or big guys battling for position in the paint. "Watch the hands" "Get out of the lane" "Take it easy in the paint" The officials that do this first and then call it, no problem. I'm more in the camp of how frequent is it happening and did it create an advantage/disadvantage.

We teach our kids to beat their player to the spot and establish legal guarding position. Easier said than done, but I'd rather have them using less hands and more feet/body.

Sounds like you had a few whistle games which can get out of control. Most good officials I've come across pick their poison in games based on the skill level of the teams.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2013, 12:29 

Rob -

I like the idea of giving a warning.... there is no need to blow the whistle every time down the floor. Not sure if this is true or not.... but they are going to have supervisors watching games and IF the refs dont make those calls there will be some discipline handed out to them? Anyone else here that?

I'm glad its you guys and not me right now.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2013, 22:21 

Coach Sar wrote:
Rob -

I like the idea of giving a warning.... there is no need to blow the whistle every time down the floor. Not sure if this is true or not.... but they are going to have supervisors watching games and IF the refs dont make those calls there will be some discipline handed out to them? Anyone else here that?

I'm glad its you guys and not me right now.

Yes. That is what I herd from a friend who spoke with an official he knows.

The problem is that they call it without any discretion. For example, on an inbound during a press. Kid gets the ball and passes and breaks the press. But during the pass he is "touch fouled." So the call the foul and take away the easy layup.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 11:41 

They will ruin the game IF they make the touch calls.... there is going to be some incidental contact.... I wonder who comes up with all these ideas??
Why don't they talk to the coaches - starting with the college coaches and work their way down to the youth leagues.... and then adjust how you call the game.

IF they blew the whistle in youth games everytime there was a violation... the game would never end.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 12:43 

golfman -

If you don't mind me asking, are you in a smaller city or bigger one? Reason I ask is, I'm wondering if you're dealing with one set of officials who rotate through all the games? Because I'm in a bigger city, it might be 10 games before I see the same officials again on my court. It sounds like you're seeing this at all levels of play (middle school - hs)? If so, that can be a drag and the coaches will have to adjust.

Are you referring to this? I grabbed it from the POE for 2013-2014 on NFHS:
Guidelines to Enforce Illegal Contact - When contact occurs that affects the rhythm, speed, quickness and balance of the player, illegal contact has occurred. When illegal contact occurs, fouls must be called. Officials must not refrain from calling these type of actions that create an advantage for the opponent. Illegal contact must be called regardless of time and score.

Where I live, at the beginning of every season, the "points of emphasis" are discussed with the coaches and we're told that officials will be looking for X, Y or Z this season. Eventually (at least from my perspective), the games appear to be called based on the official's bent that game. Some call it tight, some not so much, others get hung up on hand checking, most of the ones I deal with let them play unless there's an advantage/disadvantage.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 21:24 

I'm in a large suburban area. I haven't seen the same set a refs yet.

But your POE sounds about right. This is all being driven by the top dogs at the HS associations. The problem is that it is not working,especially at the lower levels. It has become too ticky tacky.