All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 07:10 

Good luck Coach -

Be patient with them.... not sure I could teach much with only 90 minutes a week.... but like I said, work of fundametnals and hopefully your shooting might get them out of their zone.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2013, 13:08 

Alright i give this zone offense out w/hesitation cause it's brilliant. Simple and brilliant and i stole it from a genius coach who I can't remember.

Coaches who play a 2-3 zone should be fired. But burn them w/this:

Point at top
You set up two double stacks on each block (tandems)
We always run the play to our point guards right - but that's up to you.

Your two wings set up a stack (tandem) on left block - Your best Shooter is on left block under your second best shooter (or other guard).

the 2nd double stack (tandem) is on the right block. Your best post or interior scorer is on the right block w/your best screener (or role player) on top of your best post.

When the point dribbles to right your shooter goes to the right corner off of double screen set by two post players

When shooter passes the double screen the top person in the stack on the right block (your screener) pushes in on the middle defender of the zone. Your post player steps up the lane one big step off of the back of the screener.

Your point has two simple reads:
If no one goes to guard your shooter - pass to shooter
If the bottom forward in the 2-3 zone steps to the corner and follows the shooter then the point is passing to the post stepping up the lane.
The one remaining shooter (from the left block double stack) just goes to the left wing and spaces out wherever the defense isn't located (wing or corner).

I hope I explained it well enough.

Also go on youtube and type in Tom Izzo Zone offense. He has a great zone offense he uses verse a 2-3 or 3-2. It's the offense where the wing ends up running baseline and comes up under the hoop to the middle of the lane (off of a screen down from the foul line). It is simple and again genius.

Run these two sets against a zone and the other coach will hate his zone.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 07:33 
Site Admin

Those are great plays. I've used the double screen across the baseline for years. We posted it here on the website:

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/plays/double.html

In our zone plays ebook, Jeff actually wrote up a bunch of different variations to get into the same play. It's a great way to disguise the same play throughout the season.

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/zone-plays.html

This is the only other zone play I've used at the zone level:

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/plays/pitt.html

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 07:37 

Hey Joe -

That is an old play.... heck I used that when I coached 7th & 8th graders.... and they were using peach baskets back then LOL

Seriously, that is a good play and Jeff's thoughts about disguising it but running the same play makes it easy.... and with only 90 minutes of practice, that might work out well.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 07:50 

Joe - thanks for posting that link. I should have known it would be on your site. I saw it at a coaches clinic years ago - i just can't remember who it was from.

One suggestion for teaching at younger grades (below HS). You have 3 out on the wing and then running to opposite corner. It takes too long at that age. Just keep 3 on the opposite block and on the pass back to 1 (from 2), 3 can make that cut. I've just learned this thru experience - and i coach girls so maybe that is a reason too. But our 7th graders can't run it as quickly as the HS team.

Also the point has to learn to make the pass to 5 her or himself. That quick hit will be there.

I've realized over the years if someone (a coach) at this age or in AAU is playing a zone defense then they will have no idea how to defend this play nor will they make an adjustment. It will be a free for all for your team. Practice the corner jumper and finishing at the rim.

Joe your site is impressive. Thank you.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 09:10 
Site Admin

Great idea on the movement. It's worked for me in the past with 7th and 8th grade teams, but it did develop more slowly than when using it with high school teams. I liked doing the 3-out because it let me disguise it in our normal zone offense. But like you said, maybe it doesn't matter because the coach won't typically have a clue on how to adjust.

Thank you for the kind words on the website.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2013, 04:52 

snowjavelin wrote:
Alright i give this zone offense out w/hesitation cause it's brilliant. Simple and brilliant and i stole it from a genius coach who I can't remember.

Coaches who play a 2-3 zone should be fired. But burn them w/this:

Point at top
You set up two double stacks on each block (tandems)
We always run the play to our point guards right - but that's up to you.

Your two wings set up a stack (tandem) on left block - Your best Shooter is on left block under your second best shooter (or other guard).

the 2nd double stack (tandem) is on the right block. Your best post or interior scorer is on the right block w/your best screener (or role player) on top of your best post.

When the point dribbles to right your shooter goes to the right corner off of double screen set by two post players

When shooter passes the double screen the top person in the stack on the right block (your screener) pushes in on the middle defender of the zone. Your post player steps up the lane one big step off of the back of the screener.

Your point has two simple reads:
If no one goes to guard your shooter - pass to shooter
If the bottom forward in the 2-3 zone steps to the corner and follows the shooter then the point is passing to the post stepping up the lane.
The one remaining shooter (from the left block double stack) just goes to the left wing and spaces out wherever the defense isn't located (wing or corner).

I hope I explained it well enough.

Also go on youtube and type in Tom Izzo Zone offense. He has a great zone offense he uses verse a 2-3 or 3-2. It's the offense where the wing ends up running baseline and comes up under the hoop to the middle of the lane (off of a screen down from the foul line). It is simple and again genius.

Run these two sets against a zone and the other coach will hate his zone.

Thanks for the tips, everyone here!

Well, we're about to have our third practice this Wednesday and then our first game on Saturday. I like the idea of stacking the players in the low post versus the 2-3 Zone because the defensive players won't know what to do or who to cover and if they continue covering their zones, they'll be leaving our players open. Judging from our second practice last week, the crucial part is the timing of the pass to the player(s) getting open. I'm planning on us keeping a Man Defense with Help Side and sticking with it, even if it means we lose the game.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 11:12 

Good luck this Saturday! Keep in mind that basketball is a very dynamic game. Sometimes those plays work and sometimes they take on a form of their own.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 03:52 

Well, we lost our first game - offense actually did well, but our defense and rebounding needed improvement, so the next practice we focused on those two areas. Then we played our second game this past Saturday and were behind by as much as 15 points, but we came back and won by 3 points using pressure defense! During our practice, I had the players form two lines along the paint, face the basket and then the front of the line would lob the ball against either side of the backboard, rebound the ball using good technique and pivoting to the outside to pass to the next player in line. We also did this drill for our pre-game warm-ups. The other drill that really worked well was using the Shell Drill which helped them better understand helpside positioning. This week, were going to work more on Full Court Press and Press Breakers using Jeff Haefner's tips.

I hope this is okay with the site administrators to post here - three clips from our come-from-behind win:

1st Clip - shows us down by 6 with just over two minutes left in the game. We made a 3 pointer and then my son (#33) stole the ball, made a nice assist to our big man who gets fouled as he scores, makes the extra point, tying the game!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGsP0jh8gRw
2nd Clip - shows the other team at the foul line going up by one and then my son (#33) making a basket to put us up by one 39 - 38.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVLUWDMMaNQ
3rd Clip - we get a steal and a lucky foul, my son runs some time off the clock, clears out the defense and passes to one of our tall players on the baseline who uses a shot fake to drive it in for a nice layup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh-4NJbN6wc

I stressed to them that our offense will come more easily through our defense.

:) This site has been an outstanding resource! Thank you, guys!

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 09:32 

Congrats Steven on the improvement and success!