All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2013, 21:26 

My 11 year old boy is right handed. When he dribbles using left hand, he seems to pick up the ball with left hand and then switch to right hand to shoot jump shots.
From looking at the Hal Wissel's youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEKcxYdx_0Y), he says you need to cross over in front of right foot and then let RIGHT hand to pick it up before shooting even when you were dribbling with left hand.

I wonder if what my son is doing is wrong (not what Hal Wissel says in the youtube) or if there are other ways in addition to what Hal Wissel's method?

I know I have asked quite a few questions already but I'm dying to know answers to this one because if he is not doing it correctly, I want him to know sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2013, 07:35 
Site Admin

Michael, here is what I personally do for shooting progressions.

1. Proper technique - this is really close to the basket.
2. Catch and shoot - we're not worried about speed of the shot. Just focusing on good form.
3. Make 6 out of 10 - Once they are demonstrating good form, I use a little game where they have to make 6 out of 10 before they move back a spot which is 2 to 4 feet depending on the age/skill level of the player.
4. Quick release - When I see that they are shooting with good form and are extending to 15 to 17 feet consistently, I'll start working on preparation of sticking the feet as quickly as possible to speed up the shot.
5. 6 out of 10 game.
6. Add the dribble.

And just to give you a heads up, I've been working with 13 year old for 18 months, we're on step 4 and 5.

A college player that I played with didn't work on his 1-dribble jump shot until after his junior year of high school.

Like Coach Sar said, you probably need to focus on the shooting technique first. Otherwise, you're just building on a poor foundation. It's like trying to build the Sears Tower with a foundation of toothpicks.

As for the dribble, I don't get nearly as detailed as Wissel does unless necessary. I usually just tell the player...
"Extend the dribble."
"Cover ground."
"Bring the ball to your shot pocket."

If players really struggle with it, I will film it and break down some of the progressions.

Sorry, it took so long to get to your question but I question the practicality of being able to cross the ball back over in a game setting. However, that's not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, but I do not teach that.

I do teach that they pick up the ball with their left hand and bring it to their shot pocket before going up. That way, you don't have to reach across your body with your right hand to grab the ball creating a twisting or torquing movement.

I hope that helps.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2013, 08:42 

Hi Coach Joe,
What you said just confirmed what I have been worried about. Like I said, I hired this personal trainer out of the gym when I saw he was training other kids. We started in Feb (once or twice as week plus my son's regular practices and games). He puts lots of effort on speed and aggressiveness which I like because my kids are not aggressive enough.

But after a few months, even my 11-year-old still kept missing uncontested lay-ups. Based on my research, a boy at this age shouldn't really miss too many uncontested lay-ups. I started researching (of course found this site as well). I shot a video of my son shooting layups and showed the coach and my son. My son wasn't even extending his arm properly for lay-ups. He would swing his arm hoping the ball would get in. That was a wake-up call. It was three months ago, so they starting focusing on lay-ups and jump-shots since then.
I also changed my requirement. When I took my son for practice, I told him that he needed to make 80% right and 70% left hand layups. In the past, I emphasized that he needed to do 10 makes on right and 10 makes on left. What he was doing was to make 30 or 40 attempts hoping 10 of them will go in.
Now, my 11-year-old can do lay-up 80% on right and 70% on left (uncontested). To me, that is a big progress though he still can't really deliver the lay-ups at games when highly guarded. But I'm really happy about the fact he can do lay-ups accurately and does well during practices. I think is a combination of refocus and spelling out requirement made a difference

On the other hand, he is really struggling of the shooting off the dribble even after three months. I think he is only 10-20%.

I also feel shooting off the dribble is too advanced and have attempted to tell them to work on basics first. I think his personal trainer just assumed too much of basics which my kids lack.

After reading your post, it re-affirms me. I will have a talk with his trainer. I actually had a talk earlier saying that I want my 11-year-old jump shot to be 50% accurate by year end. But shooting off the dribble is just too aggressive for an 11-year-old (he is even not 11 year old yet. his 11-year-old birthday is in Oct).

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 06:43 

Easy, first to 12, everytime he does it and scores, you get 2 points, everytime he scores and doesnt do it he gets 3...if he wins, big hi 5

http://joebloggsmadrid.wordpress.com/