All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2013, 08:52 

I'm finding as the season continues that the majority of my players are better at catching and shooting than attacking off the dribble. We use Read and React which as you know, is not an offense based on alot of screening action. The golden rule of Read and Read is that if you pass you basket cut and I don't want to break that ingrained habit. I want to incorporate screen away action by using my 5 in the high post. In 4 out I will have the high post follow the ball elbow to elbow. Whenever the ball is passed from the guard to wing, the high post screens for the UCLA cut and then screens away for the weakside guard player.

Guard reading the screen...
Defender goes over=fill one pass away.
Defender chases=curl to the basket for a catch and shot at the basket. Other perimeter players fill to the ball.
Defender goes under=pin down screen for the guard to pop out for a pass and jumpshot.
Defender switches=screener rolls to the basket and the guard fills one pass away.

I believe this will get us catch and shoot opportunities and will not break the principles of Read and React. Am I seeing this correctly or is there a better way?

Thank you

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2013, 08:55 
Site Admin

Honestly it's hard to say and the only way to know is to try it and see how it works. For me I usually have 10 great offensive ideas and then after I try them one of the ten might end up being a good idea.

Setting flare screen and getting a good post player on the block are also easy ways to get open shots. I can't remember if flare screens are part of the R & R.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2013, 13:28 

Looks like a pretty good system to me. We use the 4 out 1 in as our basic offense, with all perimeter passers making a basket cut after they pass and the other players rotating to fill and replace, so it looks like the same read and react. The problem with it is that while it stimulates movement the cutters are often just going through the motion rather cutting dynamically and the other players do not look to hit the cutters (maybe why they just go through the motions). We have two other sets to bring more variety and opportunity.

The next set is similar to what you are proposing. The perimeter passer picks away for another perimeter player, with the player receiving the pick either filling and replacing or curling and cutting to the basket. The last set involves perimeter hand-offs, where the players getting/making the handoffs fill and replace, or the receiver curls and shoots/drives, or the player handing off picks and rolls.

I have not tried to integrate all three sets into one seamless system as my guys are not quite there yet (6th grade boys) conceptually or execution-wise so I have them implement them separately. Hopefully, by the next year we can fold them all together in a true motion offense.

In all three sets, the post moves high-low, side-to-side following the ball. If he gets fed the ball, I still have my perimeter players basket cut/pick away but I tell them to hold their movements until the post makes a move. If the post drives to the hoop then a basket cut makes a lot of sense to get any offensive rebounds. But if the post is doubled then it makes sense to hold their spot for a kick out and a jump shot.