All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 17:10 

I help with 4Th grade boys our leauge let them pick us up at half court we seem to have trouble getting the ball across does anyone have any suggestion?

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 17:36 

When our point guard was having problems bringing the ball up the floor we had our center set a screen in the back court.. in your case, it would be at half court.

This is amazing with how many youth league coaches that are talking about dealing with presses of some type. That should NOT be allowed with this age group. They are still learning the fundamentals and how to play the game. Too many coaches are worrying about Ws instead of teaching the game.

Give us a brief description about how they are aligning defensively and what they are doing... maybe we can be of further help to you.

Ken

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 17:49 

Richjoan:

When they pick you up at half court, do they then just play straight man to man or do they trap you at half court as you cross? If they play straight man to man without a trap, perhaps a series of back screens on the defender guarding the ball may help to free you up. If they are trapping, find out where the traps are occurring invite the trap, don't cross the mid court line, reverse the ball. For example, if they trap at the mid court line, have your ball handler drive toward the trapping area, as the two defenders move to set up the trap quickly reverse the ball to a trailing guard who should trail at an angle to the ball carrier. Exploit the area vacated by one of the trapping players by flashing a forward to that spot and get the ball to him then set up your offense or look to score. The other school of thought is to develop a running game or an early game following a score or a turnover. Push the ball up the court quickly before the defense can set up. Good luck

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 20:06 
Site Admin

Keep practicing ballhandling, passing, fundamentals, and if you can find a different league. With repetitions and practice the players will get strong enough and skilled enough to handle the pressure. But it takes times (months and years).

I know it can be difficult, but I would not worry about any schemes or anything to beat the press. It's too bad you have to deal with that. Time is so much better spent on skills/fundamentals instead of trying to beat a press.

If you stay in the league, it sounds like Coach Mac might be able to give you an easy way to beat the press. But like he said, it depends on the type of pressure you are receiving (man to man, zone press, etc).

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 22:46 

I must comment on some of the youth league questions that are coming up. Presses, zone defenses, half court traps etc...at this age, they will only weed out the more accomplished players and those that cant cope will fall to the wayside. This is a tragic situation, at this age, we should be all enjoying the game not having to worry about traps, screens, zones and pressure situations. This is the time to teach the game to youngsters in a fun and non-threatening atmosphere. I must agree with my friend Coach Jeff, at this age, its time for fundamentals of passing, catching, dribbling, shooting. If you cant pass and you cant catch, you cant play this game, more mistakes are made with this fundamental than any other one taught. Even at the level I coach at, I still concentrate on the basics of the game. If you watched the NBA finals last year, two games were lost because one team could not inbound the ball resulting in a turn-over and a score and these guys are making millions.

coach Mac

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 09:27 

Amen to that Coach,

I said the pretty much the same thing to another poster.... this is getting out of hand... are the inmates running the asylum here or what?

There needs to be an Administrative Board for ALL youth / rec leagues that DICTATE what they teach and how they play. They are ruining the games for kids.... this is about the KIDS and NOT the coaches.

Forget about the DARN Ws and teach the kids the game... help them to be able to play at the next level and above all, have some FUN.

Ken

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 17:19 

[quote="richjoan"]I help with 4Th grade boys our leauge let them pick us up at half court we seem to have trouble getting the ball across does anyone have any suggestion?[/quote]

You could try to come to an agreement with the other coaches that the defense won't pick up until 3/4 court. Most courts have the vollyball markings which end up about there, otherwise you could tape off a marker that the defense can't pass.

They aren't learning or having fun if they can't get the ball over.