All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2013, 05:44 

I have watched the Jim Boeheim 2-3 zone DVD multiple times, but would still like more details on defending baseline inbound plays.

-Where specifically do you position defenders and which way should they be facing?
-What is the individual responsibility of the bottom and top players?
-Have you ever started your baseline defense in a 2-3 zone and switched to m2m on the inbound pass or 2nd pass etc.?

Thank you

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2013, 20:30 

I don't run a 2-3 zone, so it's harder to answer this q. We run inbounds plays against 2-3 zones where we screen the middle person down low and try to bring one of their lower defenders out wide to cover a shot. Then send someone behind the screen for a short shot. If the lower defender doesn't bite on our player going out wide of the block, we pass to that player.

I would teach the defense to see the ball and the players. I see a lot of teams turn their backs to the ball which I think is a mistake.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2013, 06:53 

We played m2m vs this situation also.... and Robs comment about seeing the ball is important... I saw Chris Collins pass it off a defenders back, step in for the lay up. When they played us, we set him up.. had our guy turn his back, and then turn quickly to receive his pass.
I knew Chris, he kinda smiled as he went past me and said, nice play, and of course he hit the game winner.

We played m2m beause we didn't want to ti give up any easy shots.... did we get burned using m2m, yes, but that rarely happened, no where near as much as giving up easy shots using a zone. JMO

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2013, 07:17 
Site Admin

If it were me I would...

- have players see both the man in their area and the ball
- hands up and out
- pack it in so every defender has at least one foot in the lane. bottom defenders packed it protecting the middle and below each block. top defenders in the lane protecting the middle. i would pack it in and allow NO passes inside and allow them to pass anywhere on the perimeter... yet have defenders in a good stance and position to close out to take away the 3 pt shot when they pass to the perimeter.

If you practice it, matching up after the ball is passed in is not problem.

When we play m2m, we just pack it in protecting the basket. Do NOT follow cutters away from the ball. Deny all cuts TO the ball. Allow them to catch on the perimeter and then match up. This is something you have to practice because some players like to follow their man away from the ball and chase. You have to break that habit and keep them packed in. That's what we do. I'm sure other methods work.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 15:45 

Hi Coaches,

I prefer M2M as our baseline defense also, I was just "entertaining" the 2-3 zone idea and needed some advice on the finer points.

Thanks!