All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 08:14 

Any advice on face guarding? My daughter is a high school senior and averages around 17 or 18 points per game. The last few games she has been face guarded the entire game. She is getting very frustrated. Is there any drill or anything she could do to help herself. Thanks!

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 09:03 

They are trying to take her out of the game.... if it ws me, I would probably do the same thing...... she is the teams high scorer I take it.

Her coach hasn't done anything to help her? A set play, multiple screens etc. ??

At this point I would tell her to get her post players open by screening for them - since her defender doesn't want to let her get open...... she screens for the post and its like a multiple screen becasue her defender would get in the way of the post's defender.... She could screen for the next best scorer on the team also;...... IF her defender helps a little bit your daughter can open to the ball and have her opportunities.

IF this works for your daughter, then other teams will have to come up with another idea....

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 09:37 

Coach Sar wrote:
They are trying to take her out of the game.... if it ws me, I would probably do the same thing...... she is the teams high scorer I take it.

Her coach hasn't done anything to help her? A set play, multiple screens etc. ??

At this point I would tell her to get her post players open by screening for them - since her defender doesn't want to let her get open...... she screens for the post and its like a multiple screen becasue her defender would get in the way of the post's defender.... She could screen for the next best scorer on the team also;...... IF her defender helps a little bit your daughter can open to the ball and have her opportunities.

IF this works for your daughter, then other teams will have to come up with another idea....

Yes she is the teams high scorer and NO THE COACH DOES NOT HELP HER at all, nor anyone else on the team. Coach is all about FAMILY NOT ME and screens are not part of the offense, I just feel bad that my daughter is always trying to get open and running the baseline till her tongue is hanging out.

I will tell her about screening for the post and maybe this will help.

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 11:04 

Screening for the post or another wing player cant hurt.... its worth a try.

meg wrote:
Yes she is the teams high scorer and NO THE COACH DOES NOT HELP HER at all, nor anyone else on the team. Coach is all about FAMILY NOT ME and screens are not part of the offense, I just feel bad that my daughter is always trying to get open and running the baseline till her tongue is hanging out.

I will tell her about screening for the post and maybe this will help.

How does a coach NOT help his leading scorer.... I would love to play him/her. Tell your daughter to be patient here....
Maybe throw this out and that coach..... " What can I do to get open more, so I can help the team? "
Screen for the post and then come back to the ball...... here is another thought.... go down low, curl around the post player and that way she can rub off her defender on the post and the post defender.

Good luck

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 19:26 

I'm guessing other teams have watched game film and they're trying to take her out of the game. I like Coach Sar's suggestion of using a low curl screen. Just because screens aren't part of the offensive scheme (strange btw as that is a basic tenant of any offense) doesn't mean your daughter can't use another player to rub off her defender.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2013, 09:24 
Site Admin

Great ideas, Rob and Ken.

I also like to find the best ball handler and set a ball screen for them. Only one defender covering a ball screen is very difficult. It's difficult enough when you have two defenders guarding the ball screen.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2013, 10:53 

I was jut thinking about curling around the post player..... IF she thinks she has a good chance of getting open, then get to the open spot.... otherwise, as she curls around the one post she can go curl around the post too, if there is another down low..... that should get rid of her defender.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2013, 11:00 

I really appreaciate everyone's info. This is good stuff, hopefully she will be able to try these in her next game.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2013, 11:03 

I wish her good luck.... let us know how it goes.