All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 13:57 

How do you break a 2-2-1 half court trap? I coach a 5th grade girls team and this offense kills us.
Thanks

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 16:57 

You need to find a new league. Any league that allows a 2-2-1 trap and this age is athletically and educationally indefensible.

In reality, if you must play against it, it can't be that good or sophisticated. I have coached high level players that have trouble with it. Just put the ball in the middle, 2 players in the corner, have them force the dribble through it and take a layup.

Kids of this age do not have the physical and mental attributes necessary to do the things that must be done to effectively play against it. They are not big enough or strong enough nor do the have the spacial awareness, which is why it should not be played at that age.

The reason that it is effective against you is not because there are holes in you knowledge. It is because they are 5th grade girls.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 17:32 

Amen to that kel.... sometimes I wonder what some coaches or league administrators are thinking of. They need to get their "goals" together here.. they should be teaching fundamentals... BOTTOM LINE.

Someone should start an Rules Board for administrators of basketball leagues... so they understand what they should be teaching and at what age.

Get rid of the zones and all the trapping for young kids and teach them how to play the game and HAVE FUN!

Ok, I will get off my soap box.

Ken