All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 12:04 

Hi, just wondering about rules reguarding and certain situation.
When the opposing team scores and we get the ball out of bounce and have to pass it in---Does the ref have to check the ball or can we just grab the ball and throw it in so the defense cant setup a press???
Also when throwing ball in can the player move up and down the base line to find an open player?
Thanks, joe in michigan...

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 12:07 

Joe, on a made basket / live ball, the inboudner can move up and down the baseline and yes, you can inbound it as fast as you want.... the Ref does not have to touch the ball.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 12:15 

wow that was a fast reply. Thank you very much. Our coach here has certain girls that throw in-bounce and the team has to wait for them to get the ball and the opposing team sets up their press and we usually end up turning ball over. I have coached soccer and hockey in the past. I am frustrated watching this go on--40 to 60 turnovers a game.... I am trying to help some of the JV girls with the basics on the side. Their coach said he doesnt need help during practice.... thanks again for your time, Joe.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 12:19 

Your welcome..... I would think that after turning the ball over that much he just might come up with a different plan... but, its his team and if he doesn't want any help, thats on him!

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 12:30 

I believe that too. I want to help--and not complain. I'd rather do something to help than complain. Upper class girls play entire game--even when we are behind by 30+points at half and player are making multiple turnovers because they are tired and frustrated. Even in practice some girls never go in and play at practice--they sit on bench or shoot on side baskets.
The school wont let me have gym-time to work with 3 to 4 girls at a time so we are outside. I am using some of the drills from your wonderful website. The girls seem to appreciate it and are catching on:)
Thanks again, Joe

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 17:30 

How old are these girls? As a coach, IF you cant find playing time when you are down by 30 or even 20, when will they play?

This is Joe and Jeff Haefner"s site.... they do an amazing job don't they!! I only wish I owned it. :-)