All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 17:49 

Hi, I've been working out the whole summer, and the workout has changed a few times, well for a better word, evolved. Can you please tell me if my current workout is good? I am a 15 year old guard playing varsity! Thank you!

Stationary Ball Handling- http://www.angelfire.com/nc/ezyduzits12steptools/tb.doc
Commando Ball Handling (do 5 moves, hesitation, crossover, between legs, behind back, in and out, 5 times back and forth between baseline and foul line)
Finishing series (each finish once each way, just for ball familiarity... Regular layup, power 1-2 layup, power layup with fake, floater off 1, floater off 2, sweep overs)
Form shooting (make 10 until foul line, so 50 shots)
Spot shooting (make 5 per 5 main spots, mid range and three)
Foul shots (make 10)
Screen shots (make 5 each shot mid range and three, five spots- right corner to wing, right wing to top, left wing to top, corner to left wing)
Pull ups (make 1 each way from each spot)
X out layups (2 sets of ten focusing each finish off two feet)
2 drives each way from each spot on the floor (two foot finish)

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 18:28 

Dom -

I might ask you how YOU feel things are going? It seems like you have a good workout here... are you working on your weaknesses? Varsity teams will exploit any that you might have... weak off hand, only goes one way etc.

Have you talked to your coach regarding your workouts? That would be a good place to start, he knows you better than we do and he has seen you play. Ask him what he thinks what areas he thinks you should be working on.

I will say this again, I like what you are doing, keep up the good work and I hope that you are playing some games so you can utilize the skills you are working on. Work on 1 or 2 moves that you can call YOUR GO TO MOVES in games.
Then pick a couple of areas that you feel need improvement. 15 years old playing on the Varsity, you can be proud of yourself.

Good luck and I hope you have a great year. ( lets us know what your coach has to say )

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 18:44 

Coach my major weakness is my drive, however it has improve immensely since the beginning of the summer! I'm a good shooter, shooting around 38%-40% from 3 and 80% on FTs and a good ball handler. My coach is unavailable at the moment unfortunately. I'm also good both ways, with right and left. One question however: do you hav any good drills to work on driving?

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 06:50 

Dom -

You say your major weakness is your drive.... does that mean "quickness?" I would work on getting your feet quicker, to me Bball is all about quickness, not as much speed for distances. From what I read from your workout... it seems like you are working on that. You could add jumping rope, jumping over lines with two feet back and forth... maybe a board too? The amount of time you work on these at one time is not as important as doing it as fast as you can for shorter periods.

Having a great crossover can help you a lot.... fake, crossover, get your lead foot past your defender and you are have him beat ..... IF no one helps out, you are home free, IF they do, then you have to be ready to kick it out or dump the ball into the post.... or a pull up jumper.

There are a lot of drills on this page that can help you.

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/basketball-drills-players.html

Is there someone who could help you - like a personal trainer if you can handle that?

Good luck and let us know how this is going.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 18:47 

ive been skipping a lot before my lifts. its more a case of being not that aggressive and just having a hard time with the actual drive. as for the trainer, if i could i would.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 19:49 

Are you playing in any pick up games this summer? Or Summer ball? Either way, find some one to play ball with and then work on taking the ball to the hole. I had one kid in his junior year that had great range on his 3s.... another coach
( a friend of mine ) told me that teams would take the 3 away from him because he was no threat to drive, So that summer I told him that he needed to work on that part of his game in our summer games. He wasn't great at it or even very smooth ... he usually got fouled and he was automatic from the line. That forced teams to respect the fact that he would take the ball to the basket IF they came out at him aggressively.

So, go out and work on that part of your game against other players... maybe some that are a little better than you, that will force you to play harder. The more you work on it the better you will get,. It wont happen over night so be patient with yourself.

Let us know how it goes,. Did you find any drills on that page I sent you?

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 20:35 

Unfortunately, no summer team in my area (Canadian problem) but I've been playin a lot at open gyms and such. My drive has improved, maybe not to the point I would like, but it has improved plenty. I'll let you know how it goes for the next open gym.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 07:43 

Be aggressive - take it to them when you drive. Remember, this is summer, thats where players are made..... seasons are for making teams. Don't worry about being perfect right now, you are trying to develop this part of your game.

Just try to get a little better every time you set foot on the floor - glad to hear that you are getting better, stick with it. Have you set some goals for yourself? Acadmecially and Athleticaly? What is it that you want to do with your life, career wise?

Goals are important, it gives everything that you are doing, meaning! Good luck!