All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2011, 08:37 
Site Admin

For youth basketball, I like to use a 5 Out for multiple reasons.
1. Everybody gets to handle the ball. Everybody's ball handling improves that way.
2. Decision-making improves. Everybody has to make decisions, so as of a team, your bball IQ increases.
3. You never know who is going to grow. You're 5'5 guard might be your 6'6 center. Your 6'0 center might be your 6'0 guard.
4. Anybody can post. If you have a short guard who is a good post player with a player his size on him, send him to the post. If you have a tall team, send your guy with the mismatch to the post after he cuts.

Here are some of the rules that I posted on the 5 Out section. My word of advice is to be patient and start slow. When you try to rush through things, they don't get very good at anything and they also start to freeze up because you're causing information overload. I've barely made it through step 4 with my 7th grade team that I've been coaching for 2 seasons.

To get this conversation started, these are some rules I've used.

1. Space Out - Top filled. Wings filled. Corners filled.

2. Pass and Move
- Basket Cut (rear or front), Down Screen, Ball Screen
- When coming off of cut or down screen, passer must watch cutter to the rim.
- Next cutter doesn't fill until cutter reaches the rim. This helps with timing and spacing.

3. Backdoor Cut if:
- defense is over 3-point line
- see back of defender's head
- defender's feet are parallel
- offensive player dribbles at you.

For younger teams, I just focus on if the defense is overplaying, but I will talk about all of the options.

4. Post for 3 to 5 seconds -
- If player feels that they have an advantage, I will allow them to post for 3 to 5 seconds.
- When post wants the ball, hand must be up.
- When they don't want the ball, hand must be down.
- If post does not receive the ball, they either fill a spot or set a screen (ball screen or back screen).

5. Pass into Post
- Passer must move. Cut or screen away.
- Opposite side of court must exchange.
- If your man doubles, cut to hoop.

6. For dribble penetration, I usually just focus on the guy being 1 pass away and the dribble penetration is on their side of the court. I tell the other players to fill the gaps. Typically, I like the opposite corner to stay or move a couple of steps.

Dribble penetration from Top, Wing player should:
- Defense sags and helps - curl around to the top.
- Defense helps high (almost looks like a trap) - cut backdoor.

Dribble penetration from wing, Corner player should:
- Penetration is towards the goal - stay or move a couple of steps to create a better passing angle.
- Penetration goes wide (more towards the corner than towards the hoop) - cut backdoor.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2011, 08:49 
Site Admin

A couple of precursors that I teach before even teaching the offense rules are mentality and cutting.

Here are some progressions I've used with a 7th grade team over the last two years.

1. Whenever you catch the ball, "Think Shot" - This is a mentality cue I got from Don Kelbick.

First, I ask them, "What happens to your feet when you think shot?" After I get some answers, I'll respond with "Yeah. You aggressively face the basket. You turn as fast as you can under control."

"Now, why is this important?"
"If you turn slowly, it allows the defense to get set and you lose your initial advantage."
"If you aggressively turn and face the basket like you're going to shoot the ball, it puts pressure on the defense. If they do NOT sprint out to defend, you can shoot the ball. Now if rush out to defend, you have the advantage because their momentum is coming towards you and it will make it difficult for them to guard the drive.”

Next, I’ll ask them, “If you Think Shot, what happens to your eyes?”
“They’re looking at the hoop.”
“Yes. And when they’re looking at the hoop, this does a couple of things for you. Eyes are one of the greatest weapons for fakes and the defense might jump and create a passing lane for you.”
“Two, if your eyes are up, you can see what?”
“Yeah. You can see the whole floor. You can see the defense. You can see your teammates.”

Next, I’ll take them through 1 v 0 drill where they run from the corner to the wing, catch the ball, think shot, then attack the basket.

Next, depending on the amount of hoops, assistant coaches, and amount of players, I’ll either play a 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4 half court game where if they don’t “Think Shot”, it’s an automatic turnover. We’ll play to 3, 4, or 5 points typically.

2. Next, I usually introduce cutting. I’ll teach them the v-cut, l-cut, backdoor cut, front cut, and rear cut.

I usually introduce this drill in 1v0 format where the passer is on top and the player is on the wing.

First, I would teach them how to get open off of the v-cut. I’d teach them how to take their man down, change their pace, create contact and step into them, then explode out to the wing to receive the ball.

Next, I would introduce the L-Cut. If they have trouble getting open on the wing, take their man down to the block, come up to the elbow, then pop out to the wing.

After I see them executing the cuts, I’ll set up the same drill, except there will be a defender trying to prevent the offensive player from catching the ball.

After, that I start to get into the rules of the offense with pass and cut. Backdoor cut if you overplayed, etc.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 10:16 

Hi Joe,

Great thoughts on rules for a youth offense. I coach 7th Grade girls and use a 5 Out motion offense all the time with M2M defense. I love the idea of teaching a shot first mentality! My team always seems to hesitate when they have an open look off a pass. I will incorporate this into my practices and see if they respond.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2012, 08:48 

I just found this post and it's GREAT!
I think it should be an article on the site and not just here in the forums.

Anyway, it helped to fill some holes I had regarding the best way coaching my team of 5th-graders.

thank you.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2012, 10:14 

This is great stuff Joe -

This is stuff that can be used at the middle school and high school levels.

And coach Vad is right, put this on your site as an article.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2012, 06:54 
Site Admin

Thank you for the kind words, Coach Vad and Coach Sar. That is a good idea. I actually forgot all about this post.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2012, 10:14 

You are too young to be forgetting, thats for guys like me. LOL