All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2012, 15:32 

My grandaughter is in 7th grade and this last year was her second year in basketball. She is kind of shy so I try to push her to be aggressive on the court. Which she responds to well. She has developed a shooting form where she pulls her one arm down when shooting the ball. She therefore is not making many baskets. I am looking for videos to help show her proper form and shooting skills. I am a beginner at assisting coaching but am trying to help her become a better player during the off season. Thank you.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2012, 16:17 

Something to read for you -

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/btshooting.html

This might help you our more....

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting-technique.html

She needs to start with FORM shooting against a wall until she develops good habits and muscle memory... this takes 100s / 1000s of shots ... do the form shooting against a wall, that way she wont worry about making shots ... just concetrate on the form.

As she understands the FORM an is automatic with doing it the same way every time CORRECTLY... then she can go to that basket - maybe 3-4 feet away and shoot ( start with one hand - then add the guide hand ) and then as she makes a good % she can move further away... little by little.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 15:44 

Great I will start with that. I hope I have done the right thing but I have bought the video "Bob Bigelow Coaching basketball the Right way for youth. Seeing video of proper form I thought would also help her. I also was going to sign her up for the shooting clinic done by Pat Anderson in June for shooting if there is still room. Would this clinic be pushing her too much. She wants to go and as I understand it is for beginners and more advanced players as well. Everyone advances at their own pace. I want to help her in every way I can. Between now and then I am hoping to get her going in the right direction. Thankyou again for any advice.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 18:09 

The Bob Bigelow should help you a lot... what are her shooting %s? That should tell you what part of her game to work on (shooting wise) along with everything else... she is young so I would imagine that ball handling, dribbling, passing etc. is also important.

As for the shooting clinic - IF SHE wants to go, why not, especially IF they can work at their own pace. I cant think of how that would hurt her.

Be patient my friend.. she is YOUNG - I would think more about guiding her that pushing her into something she might get turned off by..... Be there for her and make sure she is having FUN. Right now, thats more important than a lot of the other stuff.... IF she is having FUN, she will make sure she learns the stuff they are teaching her.

Let us know how things are going.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 19:51 

I agree with Coach Sar here, as long as your player is willing to work at it and enjoying the process, go for it. One thing that helped my 7th grade son was grabbing a few private lessons back in 6th grade. His coach really emphasized shooting with proper form, but more than that, he made my son shoot at least 200+ shots each session. That turned into my son wanting to practice on his own in-between the lessons. He still takes lessons and it definitely improved his shot.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 14:13 

Her shooting percentage is around 20% sometimes less. She makes baskets during practice but she usually shoots from her comfort zone. I am planning on working her around the basket from one side to the other and then back again. When she gets a high percentage of these then we will step out farther to increase her strength and distance for shots. She also fears missing baskets in games and she usually does. Right now we are starting with her form by shooting the ball on the wall so she doesn't have to worry about making baskets as we work on her form. I"m hoping as confidence in her shooting ability increases that her % will go up in her games. As far as the clinic goes she is excited but feels a little afraid that she will be the only one that is not very good. I assured her that they are there to help her to become better and that everyone is there to improve in one way or another. Ball handling, passing also are areas that she also needs to improve on. She will be in two clinics one at her school and another at a local high school. They do alot on ball handling, passing and scrimmage. I started with shooting because I have read that shooting is most important to improve on. Maybe I have it wrong but i guess I thought it would increase her confidence more to improve her shooting ability. I have told her that we will do drills on ball handling that we can make fun and she can compete against grandma and her little sisiter. She liked that idea.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 15:44 

Try this for awhile - Lets try and get her shooting % up a bit - set a goal for 30% since she is shooting at 20 right now.

20 form shots off the wall one handed

then go blck / middle / block one handed a couple of times
Then do the same with her guide hand on the ball

Then move back to about 5 feet and go from side to middle to side... stay at that distance untl she can make 30% or more
Then move back to about 7-8 feet and do the same thing... stay there until she can make 30% or more
Then go to 10 feet and do the same.

Once she can average 30% - try for 35 or 40 % before you go any further back... after she has some success that way, you can have her move back to around 13 feet - just keep increasing the % till she gets to lets say 50% and then she can move further back. I think you get the idea now. Its kind of like a CRAWL, WALK, RUN sort of thing.
Both of you have to be very patient here. GOOD LUCK

As for her being the worst one, tell her, don't worry about that. One year at my shooting camp this 8 year old came in and his mother was worried that he wouldn't like it or be scared. I told her to leave him for the morning... (on me) and if he likes it, he can come back... otherwise we will never know. He was back, his mom said that he INSISTED on coming back. He had a lot of fun and learned some skills.

As for the dribbling, ball handling and passing, they are all important. Don Kelbick says, if you cant pass or catch it, you cant play... some say IF you cant shoot you cant play,,,, I always said, if you cant defend.... you cant play UNLESS YOU ARE LIGHTS OUT SHOOTER. :-)

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 17:26 

Keep in mind the pros on average shoot 50%-55%. Have her watch the Michael Jordan failure commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mMioJ5szc