All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 18:22 

Help! My 6-year old son is right handed and recently started favoring his left hand when shooting - layups, foul shots, jumpers...everything. I tried to correct him since I've always taught him a righty release. Then, after seeing this more obviously in a couple of recent games and in the driveway, I stopped him and asked him to shoot how it feels natural or comforable for him. So, he pops an 8 footer up with a lefty finish. As strange as that is, his predominant dribble hand is his right - also throws right, writes right, etc. Dare I change his shot now or let him go with it?

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2012, 20:06 
Site Admin

I have a high school player on my team that is right handed but shoots with his left. I have also worked with a player that shot with both his left and right hand. We recommended that he picked a hand that is comfortable and strictly practice with that hand. I don't claim to understand how this happens but it does happen.

Without seeing him my instinct would be to let him do what ever is comfortable. Comfort is important when it comes to shooting.

Also, I have never seen a 6 year old that can shoot properly (unless it's with a nerf ball on a 6 foot hoop), let alone shoot 8 foot jumpers or free throws. Don't start too early with shooting and basketball (which was designed for adults). These kids just aren't strong enough to shoot properly. If they do play use really small basketballs and low rims.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=343

Good luck!

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2012, 07:58 

I agree with Jeff, this is pretty funny since I have talked to two coaches in the past few weeks told my about one of their players that did most things with their right hand but shot lefty. IF this works for your son, I wouldn't mess with it.... and don't worry too much about his shooting right now, he is young and is not strong enough to shoot properly at 10' baskets with a regulation ball.

He should be shooting at 8 foot baskets with the smaller ball... and above all.... let him have FUN.

He may or may not be the next Jeremy Lin... but right now its all about him having some fun, learning some fundamentals about the game and developing a love for the game.