All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 21:13 

What are some different play styles you see in shooting guards and the pros and cons to each style? For example, fast and point-motivated.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 12:45 

I'm not sure what you are looking for.... but I will tell you what I was looking for in a shootng guard.

The obvious .... be abe to shoot the mid range shot, the 3 and taking tthe ball to the basket a big plus.
Free throws has to be automatic.... I'm not sure how old you are - and some coache have their own thoughts on this.. but for me, as a varsity coach, I wanted someone to shoot in the high 70s to low 80s %wise.... IN the 4th quarter 90% because the games are won and lost there.

You need to be able to handle the ball well, deliver it to the post without throwing it away and be a complete player - finding the open man when you are not. Let the shots find you more than you create your own... nothing wrong with being able to create, don't get me wrong. I want the best of both worlds.

As far as pace is concerned.... you need to be able to play an uptempo game at times and at other times, be in control of the tempo.... time and score dictates that.

One thing you didn't mention..... don't forget, you have to play good defense too.... doesn't do you any good if you score 20 ppg and your man gets 25. I hope this helps.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 13:13 
Site Admin

I don't know much about styles. To me it's pretty simple, a good shooting guard can...

- play great team and individual defense (lock down, move feet, help, etc). The better the defense, the better the player.

- shoot from long distance and/or from mid-range -- off the catch, off the dribble, coming off any angle, using reverse or forward pivot

- handle the basketball (dribble either way, under pressure, etc -- no turnovers)

- score in the lane off the dribble - maybe a floater, hook, power lay up, rondo, etc, etc.

- make free throws

- pass the ball

- rebound

If you have a player that can score outside, get to the basket and score inside (multi-scoring threat), play defense, and do all those things, they are good and very valuable to the team. I don't know what style that is. I guess that is just winning.

I see a lot of players that can maybe shoot but they can't drive and score. Or vica versa. Players that can score in more than one way are valuable and make your offense really tough.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 13:51 

Thanks! Both of those posts are very helpful.