All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 22:47 

You see i am 187 lbs( 88kg) and 6ft(`1.83M) I am only 14 and i want to grow taller but I really want to lose my wieght so that I will be able to slam dunk because my weight is really pulling me down when I attempt to even to slam dunk!!???!
So I really need some good advice from the coaches and other players, like what should be the minimum weight for a basketball player.I am really passionate player. Please , give me some good suggestions!
Thanks

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 07:25 

Harris -

You are a big kid for 14, as far as getting taller, nature will take care of that. Here are some averages for your height.
6' 0" 147 - 167 - 187 lbs I see you as being in the high average range for your height. But body / muscle mass has something to do with it too. Every person is different. Play a lot of ball, stay active and try to eat correctly... that means Big Macs every day are out. LOL You see a lot of players today trying to put on muscle, working out and being stronger. The older you get the more physical it gets. I doubt that anyone is pushing you around.

The last thing you should be worrying about is dunking. How many dunks do you see in high school games? A couple in some and none in others. Develop the rest of your game ..... handle the ball well, have a good inside game... work on your mid range jumpers and 3s if you have time. Play good defense and rebound. What position do you play?

Everybody wants to grow, but we don't have control over that. I was 4'11" as a freshman, I would have died for your size....I was happy that I could touch the net. .Be the best that you can be right now and when you get taller ( and you probably will, you are only 14 ) your game will only be better.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 07:56 

Thank you very much for your advice coach sar. Basically i'll have to control a bit of my diet and more muscle training programme as for my position my coaches ask me to play point guard or power forward..I really appreciate it and I am gonna work harder to become stronger. As they say " practice makes perfect".
Thanks!!

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 08:02 

Haris -

Remember this PERFECT practice makes PERFECT. If you don't do it correctly, you are just reinforcing bad habits.
Diet is imprtant.... I heard somewhere that one can of pop and you will gain 10 pounds a year.... of course, at your age you will work a lot of that off.... but cut back on that stuff and eat a well balanced meal. Not so easy for a teenager LOL.. or me for that matter.

Keep working on your shot along with the rest of your game... point guard and power forward.... weird combination, he must like to post you up vs smaller guards... great idea. You better have good handles to be a point guard and have ice water in your veins from the free throw line.

Good luck :-)

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 23:49 

I see...well thanks a lot i'll follow ur advice