All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 09:21 

I am totally lost!!! I have a 2 year old that is 3 ft 4 inches tall, with the hand -eye coordination of a skilled 10 yr old boy and she already has an obsession with sports! She loves to play with her basketball, and she shoots her ball in her little hoop for long periods of time through the day. We often watch basketball together and when we do, she immediatley tries to practice what she sees on television.

Now shes to the point where she wants to learn how to dribble, and I have no idea where to begin with a child so young. I played basketball in college and assisted a high school coach for a couple of years, but I wasnt expected to have to teach these things to my daughter until she was a little older. If I dont assist, she will take it upon herself to learn and I want to teach her correctly. What drills or techniques can I show her that will point her in the right direction. SHE IS RELENTLESS IN HER QUEST TO LEARN THE SPORT.....unlike any other 2 year old that I have ever been aquainted with personally. Please Help! :-)

Jades Mom

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 09:40 
Site Admin

Let her dribble and have fun. Maybe show he how to use her finger pads (instead of slapping the ball) and that's about all you need to teach. Don't let her shoot with a real ball or a high basket. Just let her play nerf type of ball with a really low hoop for fun. Kids can't really shoot properly until they hit puberty and that is a very long way down the road (basketball was designed for adults, not kids). So just make it fun, nothing serious. Put her in other sports to develop athletically, fill that desire to play, and have fun -- soccer, martial arts, swimming, gymnastics, and flag football at the best for development. Lots of tag and games and unstructured play are important too.

I can't tell you how many kids get screwed up because they play basketball too early (they either get burned out, learn bad habits, or both). Here are a few resources that will help with your youngster:
http://www.coach.ca/files/LTAD_forparents_EN_Final.pdf

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/cr/BasketballDevGuideforParents.pdf

What ever you do, have fun!

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 10:19 

YES!!!! Fun Fun Fun!!!!!!! We make sure we have plenty!!! Thank you so much for your input! I didnt want to teach her too soon because I didnt want her to get burned out as I have seen happen over and over again!!!

I will definitely keep her busy in tons of fun activities!

Thanks again.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 13:28 

When I read the subject matter I was thinking... you gotta be kidding me.

Its great that she wants to be a player but as Jeff says... FUN is the magic word here.... let her experience as many activities as she wants... try different things out - some she will like, others, maybe not so much. Everybody is different.

You definately don't want her in ORGANIZED activities/sports .... she would be on the road to burnout veryquickly.... be careful when she is old enough to play organized sports that she doesn't get a coach that is all about winning... She or He needs to have their best interests at heart and be willing to teach the fundamentals of the game while allowing them to play and have fun.

Good luck

By the way, call me when she starts dunking! LOL :-)