All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2011, 08:25 

I enjoy the newsletters, great tips.....I'm not a coach, I'm a concerned parent. I need an unbiased opinion. My daughter is a junior in high school and has established herself as a really good player. This will be her 3rd year as a starting PG for her varsity team. She has been a PG since 2nd grade. She averaged 21 PPG last year and was 79% at the free throw line and averaged three 3 point baskets per game. She is an all around good player. She is 5'8" with some really good ball handling skills and a great shooter, but not as strong as she should be for a PG. My question is whether she should play 2 guard or PG. Her AAU team will not play her as a PG and her ability to even touch the ball let alone make any plays is suffering tremendously. The reason I am so concerned is she has had several contacts from colleges that are interested in her. But when they see her play as a 2 guard they do not see her playing at her fullest potential. What advice do you give?

Thanks!

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2011, 09:20 

IF she is playing point guard on her high school varsity team.... then that coach knows her abilities... and IF she is that good, you can bet that the college coaches have noticed her already.

2 guards are usually the shooters on the team... are you saying that she isn't going to get any shots on that AAU team or what do you see as the problem?

She has been playing point for several years now at the high school level so I would say that maybe you can look at this as an opportunity for her to learn another spot on the floor... another position?

How many games has the AAU team played so far this season?

I can tell you as a coach.... I looked at my players and utilized them in positions that were best for the team.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 10:06 

She has played in appxt. 22 AAU games this past summer and has gotten a lot of exposure. Where she has played mostly as a PG she needs to work on the overall 2 position, moving without the ball and getting open rather than being the player in control of the ball. She’s a good shooter, but doesn’t get to shoot the ball that often, because she doesn’t get her hands on the ball that often. She is having somewhat of a hard time adjusting to this change. Is there anything that you recommend? In 2 or 3 of the games where she was allowed to play some as the PG, she did so much better and enjoyed playing a lot more.
AAU is so different than HS ball. AAU never practice, they just get together and play in tournaments, usually different players and sometime different coaches.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 10:13 

I think you just answered your own question...

AAU is so different than HS ball. AAU never practice, they just get together and play in tournaments, usually different players and sometime different coaches.

This is a glorified park game... so the kids aren't playing for the TEAM... they are playing for themselves - first person with the ball over half court is going to shoot it, unless their buddy is open. Maybe you should find another AAU team where they practice and actually get coached??

Why don't you ask the high school coach for some advice on this?

Good luck.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 11:24 
Site Admin

The thing I don't like about AAU is that anybody can coach and work with players.

However, I have noticed that there are good AAU coaches just like there are good high school coaches. And there are bad AAU coaches just like there are bad high school coaches. The same could be said for programs.

I'm actually involved with a program that does it the right way. Most of the coaches in the program are college assistants and high school coaches in the area.