All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011, 01:53 

Since I've playing for Varsity (first year), I averaged 3.2 ppg off the bench. FG% is 41%. One game I've attempted 6 and made only 1. Really embarrassing 8 minutes. When I shoot, my fingers sometimes follow through my pinky to middle finger and rarely make a good shot with follow through with my index to my ring finger. I think the reason why I got on varsity because I have speed and defense. Now time summer, i want to improve my shots.
thanks

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011, 04:37 

First of all, congrats on making the varsity and getting some playing time.... good teams are built around shut down defenders, rebounders and point guards... the rest are fill ins... the shooters.... SO, IF you can be an intregal part of your team by shutting down someone's best player, be proud of that.

Improving your shot takes time and a lot of repititions... take a look at some of the videos on youtube and watch how the great shooters follow through... Swish method for one... by Tom Nordland..

I did this with a few of my playes who had form problems... stand next to a wall -
(that way you wont worry about making a shot) - take one dribble, bring the ball up with ONE hand and go into your shot, HOLD the follow through while you put your hand into the cookie jar. Your index finger should be pointing at your target as you are releasing the ball.

Maybe you can explain your shot a little more to us?

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011, 15:27 

Ok my shooting form is 90 degree angle but when I bring it up. My shooting elbow is at my chin level. If you know what I mean? Sometimes I brought it too much with elbow at my mouth level.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 04:38 

If I am reading this right... I would imagine that your shot is kind of flat (NOT a lot of arc) ......
The elbow on your shooting arm should be more around the eye level... This will give you a larger "window" to see your target and the lift will give your shot more arc... softer shot / shooters rolls at times and easier to score. A lot of players have different release points - but if your shot is flat, you need to adjust yours a little bit.

Think about this.... it would be a lot easier to drop the ball in from over the rim than to try and shoot in in with a flater tragectory.

2 basketballs will absolutely fit in the rim! If you don't believe me, you can either buy Rick Torbett's Better Basketball DVD, or you can just do the work yourself. Just stick two balls side to side, stand on a ladder, and drop, YOU WILL SEE!!!!

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 00:30 

I knew the rim is big and able to fit with 2 balls. I recently brought a new bb hoop to have more time to shoot and built it. So, are you saying that my elbow should be at my eyes level for better target? Do you have a few example of players that have "different release points?"
Thanks

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 05:56 

You can find a lot of them on you tube ......

As for the level of the ball upon release... some shooters have different release points, you have to find what is comfortable for you and what works best... some say the elbow should be ear level, some say eye level and some have a flatter shot... I always felt that the higher the arc the better the shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW0rEd6-eZI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__k0_1QZSLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOGNWTvLvgE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMfTsL0SW14&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbX5fKo842o&feature=related

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 01:03 

I see, pretty cool. So I try different form that works for me best? and continue working on it?
P.s. does form shooting really helps you shoot better? Do i have to bend my knees all the time to give power?
How long does it take? Because I've done it before just doing 30 shots on some other days..
thanks

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 06:39 

Look at those videos and I think you will see that they all have GOOD FORM... Balance, Elbow pretty much under the ball, Eye on the target and a good FOLLOW THROUGH. Thats the basics of a good shot. Your shot doesn't have to be exactly like those players... but IF your form is good, you will be more successful.

Form shooting will help you a lot... you should start every day you practice doing that.... it helps with what they call muscle memory... makes your shot consistent. You don't even have to do that with a basket, you can do that against a wall...Using your legs helps to give you some power and makes your shot better. Try shooting sitting on a chair and see how difficult that is.

The more you practice the better you will be ( on all aspects of your game ) During the summers our kids shot 100s a day... some shot 1,000 free throws every day... so IF you really want to get better, find more time to shoot the ball and raise your standards and goals. I don't think that shooting 30 shots a day will get you where you want to be.. JMO

There is an old saying, while you are sitting around watching TV, playing X Box (or whatever) there is someone out there working on his game. The ball is in your court... what will you do?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 06:43 

By the way, you have all summer to improve your game... write down a plan regarding how many shots a day you will take... and your goal for shooting percentages. It would be great IF you could find a partner to work with, more fun and easier..... and you can challenge each other.
IF you really want to play varsity ball and be a shooter, you will need to shoot A LOT, almost EVERY DAY. Being a good shooter takes work, its not like taking a pill and all of a sudden I can shoot like Michael..... it takes work and time.... most of the great shooters are the last ones out of the gym.... so, ask yourself "HOW BAD DO I WANT IT?"

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2011, 02:15 

Okay, I spent 1 hour to figure what should I work on my shots for 5 days a week...
So, you tell me is this good workout?

1 form shooting 100 times
2 free throw 50 shots
3 lay ups 20 shots each hand
4 catch and shoot 50 shots on 2 spots
5 3 pointers 50 shots

Total : 340 shots

I write down how many makes and misses.

thanks