All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 15:46 

I'm left-handed and when i shoot should i step with my left or right foot?

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 06:38 

The correct technique would be to have your feet on the shoulder line/below them. But some player step with the foot of the same side of the dominant hand (in your case left).
Hope this helps

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 08:37 

What do you mean shoulder line?

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 09:49 

We always taught 1-2 step approach to shooting from the perimetier....

Look at this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcOFU6o_kq8&feature=related

You see him going to his left, planting his right foot and turning to the basket putting his left foot down and shooting....
So, IF you are going to your right, it would be plant your left foot turn to the basket and put your right foot down and go into the shot.

Is that clear? What level do you play at?

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 13:51 

Thank you Coach Sar, I am in 8th grade and am doing summer ball and high school next year i feel like I have the talent to start varsity its just my shot is horrible I only have good range up to about 18 feet and that is still pretty unpredictable.
I just dont know the correct way to place my arm hold the ball ect. no one ever taught me.
Could you help me?
It looks like from the video it doesnt matter which foot is farther out just that there pointed at the rim.

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 14:00 

Watch that video closer... its all about which way you are going... going to the left... you will plant your right foot first... going right... it will be your left foot, then just square up.
Lofty goals, playing varsity ball in your freshman year... do your best and if its the Freshman team or JVs, so be it... Varsity coaches really like people who can shoot the ball.... but maybe the rest of your talent will make up for that...

There are a lot of things you need to do to play this game... pass and catch it, be able to dribble with either hand.... DEFEND and shoot the ball.... and thats just a basic few.

As for shooting form.... look at this page:

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting-technique.html

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 17:12 

I play the point and small forward.
Passing, dribbling and taking to the rim and finishing are my specialties, I use both hands well because Im ambidextrious. im 5 foot 6 and i should be able to dunk sophmore year.
As for defending I'm par but sometimes I commit to much to one side or try to go for a steal when i should have stayed back.

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 19:16 

While its nice to dunk... its still two points..... :-) The first three are all GOOD!!

Ok, you have to be able to cover / defend if you are going to play on the varsity level.... how about you dictating where you want the person with the ball to go... instead of taking a lot of chances and weakening the defense / putting pressure on your teammates. You can still pressure the heck out of the ball doing that... not allowing him to split the D and go to the basket ??

If you have to look for steals... keep your palms up when you are in front when he is dribbling.... look for crossovers and deflections.

Have those videos helped you with your footwork and shooting form?