All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 15 May 2011, 16:10 

hi, i just got great job(dreams come true)...i work with very talented kids..they are 13 years old.
i have one ""problem"...i can feel that they are still atached to old coach, who was "players coach". i am not that much Players coach, but i like to talk to players...anyway, i coach them for 7 days now, and i can feel that they miss old coach...not that much, but they are not quite on my side..i try to talk to them, normaly, not political campaign"vote for me":D:D, just usual stuff:" r u ok"?" how is in school".....i did win some players on my side, but not all, and not as a team..

should i give some fun drills? but i am affraid that they will think it is not serius practice....
any advice for "breaking the ice"???
thank you coaches. D

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 06:46 

Coach,

That is pretty normal, especially for young kids.... its hard to replace someone that is loved by the players.... but it can be done. I coached that age group for 13 years before moving on to the high school level... I loved it.... they knew I cared about them, on and off the court. I'm not sure what your situation is, but IF you can do something off the court with them... watch a high school or college game... just doing something with them where its all about fun. I was lucky enough to have a head college coach at our church that gave us 40 tickets for every home game... we went to several games - this got other parents involved too.

First of all, make sure that they know that you care about them as people first and foremost. You can be the worlds greatest coach, but IF they feel you don't care about them as people, you are in for a long trip.
Secondly, be super organized with your practices - let the kids see that you know the game and you know how to coach it. Make your drills competitive, kids love to compete. Don't run any one drill for too long, that bores them - keep them moving and don't waste any time.
As you are running your practices... find out which drills the kids like.. make sure that you use them.... and for sure do something fun, especially at the END of practice. We ran "situations" - my players loved this.... situations are mini games. You set up the game.... example... 1 minute to go, down A is down two points with the ball 84 feet away from their basket. Both teams are in the bonus and have no timeouts.

Good luck and let us know how this goes... and if you have any other questions.... fire away.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 07:42 

I wanted to add this.... make sure you end your practice on a high note... where they have fun.... so they WANT to come to practice the next day. AND then they will go home and talk about you to their parents and believe me, they will.

Another part -- I think that a big part of coaching is becoming a "good salesman" .. meaning, being able to sell your philosophy to your team. Once they believe in you and they know you care, they will do anything you want and play hard for you.

They are 13, make sure they are having FUN while you teach the game.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 10:53 

thank you, coach Sar.. you really do care to educate coaches... it is great answer...

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 11:06 

Your welcome, always nice to give back to the game I loved to coach. Good luck and I hope that things work out for you. Let us know.

PostPosted: 17 May 2011, 15:09 

here is one interesting question...
i have 2-3 players that are noise.... they like to sometime do things diferent...i know that sometime drill can be boring, but that is not reason to not dooing drill...

my question is : should i ignore those 3 players, or should i eliminate them from team?
i talked to them whole week, i don:t think they will be better...
what is your opinion?

PostPosted: 17 May 2011, 16:58 

Tough call..... do you think they are worth keeping? Are they good kids, just not motivated or do they have a short attention span?

Our rules were simple, the coaches are talking that players put the ball down between their feet and make eye contact. IF you have a question raise your hand.

Talk to them about TEAM play and how IMPORTANT it is for EVERYONE to be ON the SAME PAGE. Ask them IF they feel like they can fit into the above rules and want to be part of the TEAM?

Only you can make that call, not fair for someone to make that decision without being there... IF you feel that they will change, give them some rules to follow..... IF they get out of line, have them sit on the side.... IF they keep disrupting practice, tell them they can leave. IF this continues, you might not have another choice other than releasing them.

Have you tried talking to the parents regarding this situation? That is another way to go here... it all depends on whether you feel that you want them part of your team. Good luck.

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 13:37 

great post Coach...you helped me ...i will try this new approach...
i just don:t wish to take this on personal level, so players don:t feel that i have something against them...i wish them better, but we started on wrong leg :D...
i coached them 5 practices, i hope they will try to understand me...
i will try to win them one by one, it should be good idea.. what do you think?

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 17:43 

Find their leader - get him on your side and the rest should fall in line. It gets a lot easier once you have a few guys in your corner... good luck.

Five practices, they are just getting to know each other - be patient.

PostPosted: 19 May 2011, 17:53 

Coach Sar wrote:
Find their leader - get him on your side and the rest should fall in line. It gets a lot easier once you have a few guys in your corner... good luck.

Five practices, they are just getting to know each other - be patient.

ooohh, thet konw each other well, for 2 years. only new is me,,,