All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 08:24 

I'm right now teaching the guys how to trap the man after the first pass of the inbounder under our basket. But I'm having difficulty in breaking it down. Could you tell me how you would break that down and what rotation you use?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 12:03 

Typically they try and pass the ball to the corner? IF they do that, we trapped with the Forward and near guard ... our center would step in front of their center and anticipate the pass back to the inbounder or to the post player.... opposite forward would be help side looking for a skip pass or a pass to the middle..... and the opposite guard would look to steal the pass back out to another guard.

Look at what teams do to you regarding inbounding the ball and see where you have to make any adjustments to what I have described.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 01:41 

but what do you do when the trap gets broken? Do you fill the bucket and defend from there or get under the ball and find your man? And why?

PS. thanks for all the great answers!

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 06:37 

Most teams will do a one and done trap from those positions ... unless you are in a ZONE - then you can stay with it. We would trap and then recover to our standard m2m. Why? Not sure but thats because we wanted to get back to our m2m - thats the best answer I can give you as to why. (and your welcome)

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 07:52 

Oke I get that.

To make a defense work, I always try to think how I would respond in offense to this defense I want to play. My question to you is, how would you respond in offense to traps?

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 07:57 

Spread the floor a little bit... make sure you have someone in the middle or at least flash one there.... and I taught to save the dribble.... and split the trap going right at the inside shoulder of the player coming over to make the trap.... let the ref make the call.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 08:00 

Oke this is all great stuff and will keep me busy for a couple of practices. Thanks!

I haven't heard you about trapping in defense in ballscreen situations. Have you ever tried it? Why (not)?

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 16:27 

We rarely trapped ball screens because of our size .... they could pretty much just see over us... and in the middle of the floor it gives them too much room, thats why we liked the corners and short corner better.

Trapping ball screens can cause some disruptions for sure.... just wasn't something we liked.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2010, 02:47 

How did you defend traps as a small team? Switching would give you big mismatches right?

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2010, 08:05 

IF you mean how did we deal with someone trapping us, we did a few things -

1- Made sure we had someone flashing middle from the back side
2- Then had someone back door so we could get an easy basket

3- We would spread the floor out so we could see the trap coming and reverse the ball if possible
4- There were times we just split the defenders attacking the inside shoulder of the defender coming to set the trap.

We liked for teams to switch defending us..... we would run the open post and force a big little switch... then we would take advantage of their big defending us on the perimeter and take him to the hole or back door him since he couldn't stay up with us.

Is this what you are looking for?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next