All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2010, 15:16 

I agree, IF you can keep the focused and working hard... and playing as a team, things have a way for working out.

Yes, we get to practice on days we don't play, usually play two games a week.... so we practice 3 times. I loved playing teams that tried to uptempo us.... presses didn't bother us, we were very patient. The word around was " Don't get down early with East or you will be in for a long night on defense. " :-)

Keep up the good work and you are way ahead of where I was after 5 years of coaching. I wish that all these sites were available when I was coaching.... I would have been a much better coach. JMO

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2010, 01:32 

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

That's what I like about the US system, there is so much more time to train and sport, compared to here in Holland. Limited practice time is always a huge problem here. That is the main problem basketball overall here in Holland will never get near your level. Who knows where I will be teaching the game in the future. I am open for everything.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2010, 06:38 

How old are you Kris? What are your goals for coaching? In the States you pretty much need to be a certified teacher to coach at the school you are working for. What are your goals overall? Meaning, what do you want to do with your life. I was what you called a late bloomer... I hated school so I didn't go to college until I was 32, got my BA at 36 and got a job at a high school where I spent the rest of my life teaching and coaching. I loved what I did.

As for careers - "Find something that you love to do and you will never work a day in your life."

There are AAU programs and others but I'm not sure you can make a living out of that.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2010, 06:55 

I'm 21 years old. So i've got my whole life in front of me. I first want to finish my educations here. I know you need to be a certified teacher to coach at a school in the US.

I have two passions, basketball and working with kids. I love to do the two. I think I am too young to really have goals in my life. I do know that I will never quit coaching basketball. In Holland there are a few coaches who can make a living of it, but that's the absolute top.

My dream is to be a fulltime basketballcoach. In Holland we have a system in which you can educate yourself as a basketballtrainer. Last year I've followed and succeeded in my first coachcourse (there are 5 levels, I skipped the first, that was too basic, so that was level 2). This year I am doing the level 3 course. I'm trying to get in touch with as many experienced coaches as possible to learn about the game. To hear different opinions so I can figure out for myself what my opinion is. I'm working my way up and I hope one day I can make a living of it. I'm doing everything I can to make that goal.

When I'm done with school, I want to travel and visit a couple other areas of the world to learn about the game out there.

That are most of all my plans for the future. If I can't be a fulltime basketballcoach, I'll keep combining the coaching with teaching in primary school, i love working with kids so that won't be a problem.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2010, 07:20 

You are never too young to have goals - and at 21, thats a great time to start. The people in life that are successful are GOAL ORIENTED. As you get into teaching you will find out how important goals are... in your lesson plans for the kids in the classroom etc. Every time you set foot on the practice floor you should have some goals.... "what is it that I want to teach / emphasize to my players today?" I had a practice (lesson) plan for every practice which I kept in notebooks. That way I could go back and evaluate what we did and what we needed to improve upon.

After every game we wrote down areas that needed improvement and that went into the next days practice plan. IF there was a particular "situation" in the game that we messed up on, we ran that as a "situation" at the end of practice.. to make sure that we would handle it correctly the next time.

It seems like you know what you want to do and are trying to get the education to do just that. I wish you well.

By the way, how is that one boy doing with what we discussed before? Are you having any luck in convincing him how to go about the game? Doing what needs to be done for the good of the team?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 06:10 

I do have goals. And I am very goal oriented, you said that before. But my goals are good for the coming 5 years. I do not yet have goals for the coming 20 or 30 years.

I'm working with goals in coaching. You are totally right about that point.

You said this:
After every game we wrote down areas that needed improvement and that went into the next days practice plan.
The 'we' you are talking about, is this the group including the players or just the coaching staff? In the other discussion Don said to listen very well to your players. I'm curious about how you dealed with it in reality.

The situation about the boy: He played an outstanding game last weekend, but the whole team did in the 5-143 game. But I want him also to play outstanding against better teams. I haven't had a direct conversation with him yet. That is because he was sick last week and this weekend he had to leave right after the game. I will certainly have the conversation with him this week. As soon as I have an update, I'll post it right away.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 07:15 

Glad to hear that you have some goals.... think about this, WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE IN 10 YEARS? WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE DOING?
No harm in thinking about that. I know I would have been a lot better off financially IF I would have done that a lot earlier in my life. My problem was self confidence - thinking I couldn't be successful in college.. how wrong I was.

After every game my assistant coach and I would go our for a "pop" and something to eat... we did this... while we were waiting for the food and enjoying the "pop" we would talk Bball and write down the areas we felt we needed to improve upon... those went in to the following practice plans... I hated making the same mistakes... I felt that would be on me.... and that wasn't going to happen, not on my watch.

I suppose that every coach has their own way of dealing with their players..... most of the time I would let a few of the players give the post game talk, heck, they get sick of listening to the coaches after awhile.... A lot of what I would hear would come from very informal conversations with them, on and off the court. You would be surprised what you can learn by listening to kids talking to you or around you.

Let us know how things go after your conversation. You seem to be blowing out your opponents...... why don't you scrimmage the age group in your club just above yours? That might bring them back down to earth... but certainly you will and the kids will see where they have to improve as you start playing the better teams.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 07:24 

That's really a good question, I have thought about it before, but I've also changed that goals in the last few years. So I have changed my focus to the short term.

You're right, every coach deals with it in a different way.

The scrimmage against the higher team I'd like to use as a sort of back up plan for me when the concentration gets lost and when the guys are feeling too good. But I do have to say, for the age they have, the keep a great focus. I try to keep challenging them by keeping the level of the practice high and keep improving them. Untill now, it is working great. You can't blow out an opponent with such great numbers, when you are not concentrated. I'm seeing a lot that can be improved, especially in fundamentals I'm trying to keep challenging the players, so they keep concentrated.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 07:31 

I will agree that they are focused.... but from that last score, you and I could have beat that team - just the two of us LOL.... and I'm 10 years older than dirt.

They need some real competition to get them to step their game up a bit. Challenging them is good.... every day in practice make it a lot harder than any game you will play..... but as you well know, kids rather play a game than practice.... so why not kill two birds with one stone...... play better talent (dont worry about the score) get them to execute better each and every possession, both ends of the floor. JMO

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 07:40 

Haha, we would have certainly won! But not every team in the poule is of such level. This was an exception. The other teams should give us better competition, not that much that we will lose. So playing the older team would definitly not harm us.

You do have a point in the scrimmage. The problem will be, that I most likely have to give up a practice for it. I might do it, I'll keep it in mind, but right now, we need to improve that much, that I don't want to miss any practicetime.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next