All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 07:16 

Boy, you guys are fast! :-)

Like I said, tell everyone else to back off and let you deal with this.... coaches do a lot more than coach, they are mentors, social workers, psychologists, parents, role models - you name it.

Let him know that he can talk to you about any problem he might be having.... talk to him away from the other players..... tell him to NOT be so hard on himself.... I had a freshman kid come up to me telling me how bad he was shooting... I told him that he is a good shooter, your problem is that you think that every shot should go in, it doesn't work that way. He turned into a GREAT shooter by the time he was a senior playing on the varsity for me.

I don't know what you mean by
Coach Kris wrote:
There might indeed be some problems at home, but I also think the pressure on him from inside the club and he is being too hard on himself I think. But I don't know how to deal with that

Th part about inside the club bothers me..... can you explain that a little more?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 07:31 

haha yeah I'm eager to learn, so I'm reacting as soon as I can.

You are probably familiar with the system here in europe. Well, we are a relatively small club with 1 or 2 teams per agecategorie. So if there is a talent in a team, the people in the club will see right away. That's not a problem. But because our best senior team is playing at a very high level for such a small club, we rely very much on our talents. And the club tries to push them as soon as possible to a higher level. Most of the time that results in playing in older teams. The people inside the club want him to be a future leader in the best senior team. And he can be, but with that in the back of his mind, he is always looking at his results, not at his play. He wanted to show everybody he is the best of his team, but not in being a teamplayer. Last year I got him to be a teamplayer much more, but he still wants to show he is the best player in scoring instead of being the teamplayer we want him to be. And because he isn't scoring so much and letting his man go sometimes in defense, he thinks he is not performing like the people on the club would like him to perform. This is the way I think he is dealing with it, because sometimes he is forcing difficult shots, instead of passing the ball when passing was the best option. He always wants to know how much points he scored, and so on.

Do you see what I mean?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 07:40 

OK, I think I am getting the picture now.

I still think the rest of the people in the club need to let you deal with this boy, you have been working with him for how many years now? You are watching him grow as a person and a basketball player.
Maybe he is listening to them too much about how good he is? And he is trying to show them that hes better? I have posted several things about post guard play that I found... let me see if I can find them.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 07:43 

Got this from a friend of mine.....

The road to becoming a good basketball player is not by any means an easy road. It is a road paved with hard work, sweat, skinned knees, and sometimes tears. Along the way you will find victory and defeat, encouragement and discouragement, disappointment and joy, praise and criticism, success and failure, but you should always retain the satisfaction of knowing you did the best you were possibly capable of doing. Success is this self-satisfaction.

Steve Nash Advice for Point Guards

Words of wisdom for point guards (presented by Steve Nash at the Nike Point Guard Academy

“You should always want your coach to be critical. It gives you an opportunity to learn and to overcome adversity.”

“You maximize your potential by being humble develop a work ethic, strive to be a good person, and to be the best teammate you can be.”

“Use your scoring ability to be a better passer, and your passing skills to become a better scorer.”

“You can’t be a point guard who gets into the lane and always passes. Capitalize on the real estate you have gained.”

“Point Guard must be able to pass with both hands equally off the dribble.”

‘”I am always thinking how can I get myself better.”

“On the fast break, after 2 or 3 hard dribbles you should see the whole floor and know where all your teammates are.”

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 07:49 

I agree with you, I'm working with him for 4 or 5 years now, I indeed have seen him grow up as a player. In his head he thinks too much about what others think of him instead of how his team needs him.

I really like the quotes, especially this one:
“Use your scoring ability to be a better passer, and your passing skills to become a better scorer.”

That can help him a lot.

I will have a conversation with him today or this weekend, and will losen up some things, I will keep you posted on the development and his reactions! Again I'm a young coach, who is eager to learn and I really like this forum. I think it is a great way to exchange knowledge!

Thanks Coach Sar! :D

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 07:53 

Sit down with this boy and explain what you expect out of the point guard / coach / QB on the floor......

Here are some of my thoughts -
- handle the ball with a minimum of turnovers
-initiate the offense and the break - RUN THE TEAM
- help to set up the other players on the team - MAKE THEM BETTER
(Michael Jordon was always a GREAT player but he didn't win any championships until he got the rest of the team involved)
- Be able to penetrated, dump to the post, kick it out to the good shooters, pull up for your own jump shot and or take it to the hole
- Be a GREAT free throw shooter
- Have a good pull up mid range jumper
- Be able to hit the three when open
- AND PLAY SHUT DOWN DEFENSE

IF he was playing for me, these are the things I would be looking for.... as a 14 year old, I wouldn't expect him to be perfect, but I would like him to possess some of these skills.... and we would help him to get better at all of them. There are very few 14 year olds that can play with 16-17 years olds and perform at a high level. How tall is this boy?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 07:57 

They need to stop pressuring him to be the next MJ and let him progress at his own pace..... stop blowing smoke at him about how good he is... its messing with his mind. (at least it seems that way) You are lucky, you have been working with him since he was a young boy, watching him grow into a young man.... on and off the floor. Keep up the good work.

He needs to think about pleasing you and himself...... IF you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one. Sit down and make a plan with him about how you would like to see him improve this year.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 08:03 

You are reading my mind, that are the same points I want him to do. He is 1.85 meter (I don't know how much feet that is) in Holland that is pretty tall for a guard. But he is not very muscular, he is pretty slim. Though his movements are good, footwork great. Because I'm playing with five out most of the time there is not much of a point guard, but there the transition in the fast break he can be very important. I think he need to be the leader in defense, I think he can elevate his game that way.

Yeah he needs to be looking at himself. That he has fun in playing basketball. I think that is the most important thing.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 08:22 

Hes a big kid.... over 6 feet tall and only 14..... I ran an open post offense also.... I loved it and teams hated to defend it...... because they knew they were in for a long night on defense..... we were going to get the shots we wanted... back door lay ups... takes to the basket or 3s when the got lazy on D!

You might mention our conversation and thats what most head coaches are looking for - point guard or not, he needs to be the leader of your team....and someone has to start the offense and to me, thats the point guard...... regardless of what you call him. :-)

I agree with you, he needs to have FUN playing this GAME.... or he might quit and you sure don't want that. I was a defensive minded coach... and you might explain to him that his (and the teams ) Defense will create points... it will tell the other team who is in charge out there... that they are NOT going to get an easy shot. Here is another thing I told our players.... GREAT scorers let the shots come to them instead of them looking for their shot all the time. That doesn't mean that you can't create shots when the opportunity presents itself.

I had one guard that was so fast no ONE or TWO defenders could stop him...... but he didn't get really good until I convinced him to kick it out to the wing he got a lot better and so did the wing. Teaching kids to be the ultimate team player is tough sometimes... but it seems like you have a good relationship with him so you should be able to SELL him on the TEAM CONCEPT.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 03:56 

I love the offense too, we need a bit more patience in the offense, but it starts to take shape. He fits perfectly in this offense. Just wait for the defense to make a mistake and take advantage of it. And if you play the offense right, the defense will eventually make the mistake. And because of the space inside, there are a lot of chances for the close basket. On disadvantage is that you don't have a lot of offensive rebounds. Because you are most of the time too far away from the basket. But they learn very good how to space the floor and beat your opponent 1-1, on and off the ball, so it's very good for theyre development.

I will try to sell the team concept to him, I can do that. Let's see how he responds to it. I will keep you posted on his development.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next