All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 08:42 

I have a team of 6th graders I have been coaching for three years. We have two players who are more skilled than most of the others. These two boys are sometimes selfish on offense. They will take bad shots and not pass the ball (we run a motion offense). I have tried the four passes before a shot concept but that doesn't always work.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 10:59 

Rick,

My suggestion would be the old seat on the bench until they get it. I don't mind my better players handling the ball and taking more shots that the weaker players. But when they start taking bad shots and not passing it to open teammates, then they get to sit beside me for awhile.

Doug

2010-11 3rd/4th/5th Grade Boys - CYO - Novice 1 Level
2009-10 5th/6th Grade Boys - CYO - Intermediate 2 Level
2008-09 4th/5th Grade Boys - CYO - Novice 1 Level

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 11:44 
Site Admin

An old seat on the bench is a method that always seems to work as long as they know why they are sitting on the bench. However, at the youth level, that can be more difficult to do. I'm not saying not to do it, but you have to be cautious. You don't want to take away their passion for the game.

You could also emphasize good passing during practices and games. For awhile, don't congratulate them on a made shot, only when they make a good pass. Maybe, you start keeping a stat called "good passes" during the games.

There were some similar tips offered at this forum page as well: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=98

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 12:44 

Joe,

I absolutely agree that they need to know why they are sitting down. And I certainly wouldn't sit them for an extended period of time--just enough to get their attention.

I like the good pass stat idea!

2010-11 3rd/4th/5th Grade Boys - CYO - Novice 1 Level
2009-10 5th/6th Grade Boys - CYO - Intermediate 2 Level
2008-09 4th/5th Grade Boys - CYO - Novice 1 Level

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 13:06 
Site Admin

Very well said, Doug. Thanks for the contributions!

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 13:08 

You might try this in practice.... run a short scrimmage game. IF you have 5 players... play to 6 and EVERONE has to score before someone can shoot the game winner. (and you can always pick the kid you want to shoot it - maybe not the best player?)
We did this in summer camps and you would be amazed how hard they work to get certain kids a good shot. This promotes team work and leadership skills.
In games if they are out of control... yes, sit them down and explain to them why they came out. Tell them that when they are under control they can go back in.... you will see how fast they will conform to your philosophy.... or they come out again until they do get it.
No one ever wanted to sit next to me unless they were going in to a game.

Ken

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 13:58 

Thanks all. these are great suggestions.

Keep them coming.

PostPosted: 23 May 2010, 17:09 

rickc, here is my solution: when we play 5:5 on practice, i don:t allow my "selfish" player dribble, only penetrating without dribble...he can earn dribble by assisting, and rebounding...if he assist to a teammate, he can dribble for 2 possesions, if he rebound 2 times, he can dribble for two possesions...by not giving him dribble, he can learn more cuting, and moving without the ball..
p.s. sorry for bad english

PostPosted: 27 May 2010, 10:47 

During practice you can stress ball movement by telling the players they have to pass so many times before they shoot. You can also stress ball reversal. The ball will have to move.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010, 09:19 

We do the x amount of passes before shooting drill. It has value but is somewhat contrived and I'm not sure will fully solve your problem. The kids will do it but your gunners might game their way around it or won't get the lesson when you shift back to a real game or scrimmage.

Benching them is an option but you should be careful with it. They may become less selfish as result but they will be resentful. The key is for them to develop the understanding that being less selfish will help the team (and ultimately themselves) become more successful. Easier said than done. Gunners often happen to be natural leaders at this age and many times the best players already. Play to that by talking about how as leaders they are looked up at by the other boys and that their actions set the tone for the team. This will slowly start them thinking a little more about the team and less about themselves. At that point you should find it easier to get them focused on team play.

As for drills, we do 3 v2, 4 v 3 and 5 v 4, pass only scrimmages with 1 player playing automatic offense. I like this better than the x pass, y designated shooter. Your gunners will still get their shots but the very nature of the drill ensures active participation and more shot distribution for everyone. This really gets the kids moving around, spacing and cutting and having their heads up -- side benefits that will accrue to everyone. I then will add dribbling but with limits borrowing from Don Kelbrick's suggestion that once in the offensive side of the court a player may only dribble for 3 seconds before passing or shooting. This gets you closer to a real game without allowing the NBA-like isolation situation where one players has the ball for almost the enite offensive possession -- sa patten your typical gunner naturally falls into if anot taught otherwise