All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 09:05 

I have a question. How to establish a good relationship between the coach and the players since some of the players in our team are always arguing to our coach and as a result the coach-player relationship is being destroyed.

Thank you

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2010, 04:47 

First of all the coach has to let them know WHO is in CHARGE.

Then he has to let them know that he cares about them, not just as a player, but as a person. Most kids will run through a wall IF they know the coach cares.... IF they think he doesn't - forget it, you are going to have a long year.

I don't know the age group here, but this isn't a democracy, I used to tell my players that if they wanted it their way, go to Burger King. As long as you are playing for this team we will do it our way.

That does not mean that you cant have a conversation with them.... he might have to do a better job of explaining what he wants done and why. We told our players that in games we wont have time to explain everything, just believe in us and do what we say....... if you want explanations, we will give you that in practice.

He needs to have a well thought out practice plan, one where he goes from one drill or segment to another - one that he knows exactly what he is trying to teach - keep them moving in practice and they will know that he understands and can teach the game.

He might have to sit donw and have a conversation with them and explain his philosophy..... questions and answers at that time..... then move on and take control of the team. Don't let the tail wag the dog. JMO

He might choose a couple of captains, players that can help take control of the team and show some good leadership. Sometimes kids will listen to their peers more than adults.

Does this answer your question?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010, 23:13 

Hi Coach Sar,

Thank you so much for the information and I hope this will help improve our team. By the way we are college student athletes from Philippines. And as the team captain of our basketball men's team I'm just concern because this will be my last playing year and the team now is almost composed of rookies. Also I want to be a coach after playing that's why early as now I'm collecting informations and ideas on how to become a great coach.

Thank you,
Al

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 05:52 

Al,

This is a great opportunity for you.... be the coach on the floor, you are the SENIOR guy, they should be looking to you for LEADERSHIP. IF you don't know exactly what the coach wants, sit down with him and pick his brains. Find out exactly what he wants - its his team... and NOW YOURS.

Then lead by example, do the things that need to be done when they need to be done and do it that way all the time. ( I think thats how Bobby Knight put it )

If someone steps out of line or isn't doing something the way it should be done, explain to him - "thats not the way we want it done here" Then show him how it should be done. You also might explain to the players that arguing with the coach wont help him or the team.... be a TEAM player.

I hope you can realize your dream of becoming a coach.... its one of the most satisfying things I have ever done with my life - teaching the greatest game and helping young people. Stay in touch with us - let us know how things are going and we will be happy to help you realize your dream. Good luck.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 16:42 

Coach Sar,

Thank you so much for your inspiring message coach. Hope that someday I can be a great coach just like you and I want know more about coaching and I know you can be one of my mentor.

God Bless and more power...

Al

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 17:03 

Be ambitious, always continue to learn, and let your passion come out everytime you teach and you will do great.

Here is link to a very important aspect you will want to start building now and continue to work on. I wish I had known this 5 years ago.

http://spartanpt.com/uncategorized/project-learn-with-me-coaching-philosophy.html

http://www.spartanpt.com/blog

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 08:03 

Thanks for the kind words Al,

I will be more than happy to help you out in your quest to be a coach.... ( as will the rest of the guys here ) just remember to be a great teacher and a student of the game.

God Bless you and good luck this season, I hope things work out for you. Let us know how things are going from time to time.

Great message from Coach Springer by the way. You are going to learn different things from every coach you come in contact with..... listen, write things down.... add and delete things as you develop your own philosophy.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 08:11 

Coach Wooden often sums things up well. A coaches job is in many respects the most important job you will ever have. Even if you are a lawyer, or doctor, or architect, no other position demands the responsibility of shaping, mentoring and modelling for potentially dozens of youngsters in their most formative years. It is truly an honor and a privilidge to be a coach and a huge responsibility comes with this position. Way too many coaches in all sports have no clue the impact they bring to their players.

"No written word, no spoken plea can teach our youth what they should be. Nor all the books on all the shelves, it's what the teachers are themselves." John Wooden

www.MyBasketballBasics.com

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2010, 16:53 

Al: I know phillipine basketball as I coach Professional in Hong Kong and also referee in the city league that has several philipino teams in it. I know your passion for the game and I have experienced first hand how sometimes phillipino emotions can transcend sportsmanship. I have been to your beautiful country several times and taken in games of the P.B.A. and I have done basketball clinics with Alvin Petromunio a fine and decent human being as well as an excellent legendary player. This is my advice, and it may sound dictatoria but, when it comes to any basketbal team it is not a democracy. The coach IS in charge!! now, this is not to suggest that it is a complete autocracy, good coaches are receptive and listen to suggestions. Good coaches care about thier players and their well being, good coaches always have an open door policy. If this is the kind of coach you have, then approach him respectfully with your problems. However, from what I am reading, most of your problems seem to be with the players. My suggestion is to meet with them first and find out what the problems are, you may be able to offer solutions without involving the coach. Al, you are the captain of this team and with that title comes a huge responsibility, take charge and be the leader you seem to be...Good Luck Coach Mac

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 01:19 

Coach Mac,

It's my pleasure reading your comment and suggestion. Thank you so much for your wonderful words and it's good to know that you've been here in my country and being in the PBA games also with Alvin Patrimonio. Hope that you'll find time to be back here in the Philippines and maybe I can meet you in person.

I'm doing my part talking with my team mates and letting them know how we will do things in the team and as a team for us to achieve our goal. And I'm getting good response from some of them but not all since our team are mostly rookies. I know I can't do this in one time but I'm trying to teach them one step at a time. My problem is that our coach is not that good listener and sometimes he can't accept his mistake that's why I'm having hard time to talk to him and teach my team mates because as they can see they're not getting good example from our coach. Sometimes if I take charge of the team I feel that my coach feels annoyed maybe because he feels that I have taken his part but I never did. All I want is to help.

Can you give me some advise how I am going to deal with this things because I don't want to make our team miserable. Also I don't want to lose our crown as Champions last season. Our goal for now is to win the Championship and make it three in a row..GRAND SLAM!!

Thank you,
Al