All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 09:34 

I enjoy your site and have received both the free books as well as purchased the Basketball Drill Books. I have been a youth coach for a while now and last year was also the League Coordinator for our Age 5/6 League. The Age 5/6 League played on 8 foot goals and had relaxed rules - round robin play (each team played one another about 2 x\'s - we did not keep score or play for standings. This season I have been asked to be the Age 7/8 Boyes Leauge coordinator - they play on 8 foot goals - with 4 quarters and there is tracking so all kids play 1/2 of each quarter , more tighter rules, etc. The past practice is that initial player evaluations are held by the Coordinator and coaches to look at height and skill levels, etc In an effort to initially field fairly even teams, etc. It had been done a few different ways in the past - Since I am new to this practice - I would like to get a different perspective vs. just going with how it was done the prior year - I am very interested if you have any materials or suggestions on how to approach this and conduct the evaluations (what skills to evaluate - how to conduct the evaluations, etc) - my main issue is the be fair and have the teams start out balanced (height and size in particular) as well as skill - and on an even playing field - then of course -some teams will progress better than others as the season continues. This age 7/8 League is technically a Boys League but the better girls are allowed to play in it (my daughter will be playing in the league) - Any help, suggestions and recommendations you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am going to go thru last years rosters to flag prior experience - but the evaluations what is primarily been used in the past.
Many thanks,
Carol

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 12:42 

Carol,
I'd be interested in hearing others ideas as well or any publications that exist on the subject. Our organization held our first evaluation last season, and learned a lot about what doesn't work (mostly working with young kids, too many in a small space is a bad idea). But overall we got thru it and formed some quite even teams.
One thing we did institute that I think will help this coming year is a season end evaluation by each coach. Each player was rated in various categories by their coach then I entered the data into a master spreadsheet that will hopefully allow a very good understanding of each player when combined with the evaluation session (still need this as some kids can really change in 6-8 months).

Hope we can hear some more on the subject,
Steve

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 06:25 
Site Admin

I think it's great that your league is trying to do what's best for the kids so they can develop. I like the rules and that your seeking out better ways. I wish more leagues were like this.

Regarding your question, I personally think that evaluating the players will be pretty easy and that it's not something to be overly concerned about. I think that if you have a camp or a couple practices it will be very obvious which players can play and which can't. I know when I've run kids camps it was very obvious that there were only a handful of kids that could do anything. So you'd try to split them up and keep them from being on the same team.

So maybe you can have a 1 day skill camp to kick off the season? Or you can get all the coaches to conduct 2 or 3 skill development practices. Then have the coaches rate the players.

Beyond that, we have lots of good resources for working with young players. Here are a few important links:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/youthbasketball.html

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/bigelow-youth-right-way.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/BreakthroughBBall#grid/user/2F99412DF9F68C97

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 17:14 

Congratulations on how you are handling things..... it sounds like you and your group have a great handle on how to work with young kids.

Here is another idea....... IF the coaches are doing the evaluating..... and forming teams..... have a blind draw as to which team you will be getting. You can bet that the coaches will make sure that the teams will be chosen as close to even as possible. Just a thought.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2010, 16:35 

Thanks for the responses everyone - I did a little net surfing and did fine a few player evaluation forms - mostly pretty basic stuff - ranking from Tall - Medium - Short in size then having them evaluated on Shooting - Dribbling - Passing - Free Throws - running (speed) - Jumping - and then regular scrimmaging......

If anyone else has any forms or procedures their league has used that they want to share can you let me know - I would really appreciate it

Thanks Carol