All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 09:47 

Hello Breakthrough basketball

My question was about "shooting workouts before or after vertical jumping workouts"

I recently bought a vertical jump program and a breakthrough shooting program, and what i was wondering about was should i complete the basketball drills before or after the intense vertical jumping workout. Because the vertical jump trainers told me that they do not want me doing any type of workouts after the program that will overtrain my legs. So i really needed to get some help from you guys. What do you think i should do... shooting program beforere or after heavy lower body workouts ??. And another thing is i really need someone to help me make a basketball workout plan for the summer, cause i have been cut from the school baskeball teams and i wanna show them what they have been missing this basketball season inshallah so please help. The plan i want to make consists of upper body, vertaial jump training (lower body), and shooting workouts. I Just really need someone to help me get this all organized and to answer my question.

please and thanks

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2010, 10:54 

The first thing you need to do is talk to them about this problem... and that you WANT to have a shooting program too. Ask them what they suggest as to the amount of time you spend shooting vs their vertical jumping program. They need to know that your goal is to PLAY basketball.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 02:43 

Alright but i think you might know or heard of this vertical jumping program. Its called flying in four by kelly baggot and Alex Maroko. So yea, you think i should message them and ask them if i can add a shooting program. I kinda know what they will say , something kinda like "if it wont affect your gains or overtrain your legs". Are the shooting workouts something that are considerd something heavy that will really use your legs and that will take up alot of engergy ?
So what im thinking is to do like the vertical workout in the afternoon..... rest... for like a few hours then do the shooting workout at night.
or ( very good idea) Another idea i had which is only doing form shooting for the first 4 weeks (cause the vertical jump program is 4 weeks) , so my idea was to get the fundementals of form shooting in my brain for the next 4 weeks and then work on some other skills at the same time like post moves and other stuff like ball handling. for those 4 weeks. then when im done the vertical jump program i will focus on the shooting program and shooting drills given in the ebook and upper body training and other skills for the rest of the summer. Do you think the 4 weeks for form shooting is too long, or is that a good idea ?

please and thanks

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 06:11 

I don't know anything about that program so I hesistate to tell you what to do.... form shooting is a good idea... and I would think that you could shoot free throws too.

My question is why you are using this program? What is iit supposed to do for you? How will this help your athletic abilities and the game of Bball?

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 07:36 

1) I am using this program to increase my vertical which will help me in many aspect of the game like rebounding, and blocking.
2)It will help my athletic ablilities, because increasing your vertical is in an way increase your athletic abilities.

So yea you think i should do form shooting, grooving, and free throw shooting for tose 4 weeks.

i still need a plan to get this all down. do you think this will work inshallah :-

First 4 weeks (with the vertical jumping exersice)

Day 1:- Vert exercises / shooting drills / ball handling
Day 2:- Upper body exercises / shooting drills / ball handling
Day 3:- Vert exercises / shooting drills / ball handling
Day 4:- Upper body exercises / shooting drills / ball handling
Day 5 :- Vert exercises / shooting drills / ball handling

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 09:00 
Site Admin

I'm not a certified trainer but I would think you should listen to your body and limit your shooting while you do the "vert jump program". I think you'll know when you're pushing your legs too hard and they can't recover. If you're not getting stronger and more explosive over a little time, you are probably over training. Here are a few articles about the subject (I would assume these people know more about the subject than me, but I don't know who they are. I just searched on Google.)
http://www.bodybuildingsecretslive.com/signs-of-overtraining/
http://www.runningplanet.com/training/signs-of-overtraining.html
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/strengthtraining/a/overtrainweight_3.htm

I would think that if you're going to do leg / jump training 5-6 days a week, that you'll have to cut back on your shooting. Then once the jump training is over, you can focus more on shooting and your skill development.

Just be careful about using a jump workout that is too strenuous. This can lead to injury. You need a training program that mixes flexibility, strength, and plyometrics. Some programs focus too much on plyos and cause lots of injuries with players. It's just common sense, but repetive movements and overuse cause injury. It's as simple as that. That's why you need a good well rounded workout.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 14:15 

I agree with Jeff -

As a coach .. I look for players like this....
1- a shut down defender
2- a great rebounder
3- someone who can handle the ball... Point guard
4/5 - SHOOTERS

IF I have some kids that can put the ball in the basket, that makes up for a lot of other things... along with making the coach look like a genius...... IF we cant score I looked like the dumbest guy on the planet.

My feelings are to balance your workout with shooting but thats just me.