All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 22:05 

My kids are great at moving the ball around on offense, however, the competition is stiffer this year and we're running into more stolen passes. We run into teams that play closer and go for the steals. I've tried and tried to get my kids to fake the first pass, let the defender bite and then throw to their teammate cutting back to the basket. We play a 5 out with decent spacing and a nice wide arc away from the basket. The passes are crisp, just too obvious and predictable.

Any thoughts, drills, suggestions on how I can get my kids to calm down and control when/how they pass? I want the person with the ball to see they can make their teammates defender get out of position with that fake.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 22:38 

We ran an open post offense also.. and we worked on pass fakes EVERY time we touched the ball - and we worked on backdoor cuts a lot... our battle cry was DON'T FIGHT PRESSURE - BACK DOOR and go all the way to the rim. There were times we added extra defenders so they had to work harder to get open... we also told our kids... take the 5 second call before you throw it away, we can play D when the take the ball out of bounds... we cant on break away lay ups.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 08:11 

Coach,

Make sure you stress to all players receiving passes that they MUST step toward each pass. Players catching the pass must go to the ball...meet the pass. This could cut down on steals.
During practices actually work on ball fakes and backdoor cuts. Also work on V cuts to get open.

Good Luck,

Coach A

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 02:36 

I had the same problem this year. I think Coach A hit it on the head. The intercepted pass shouldn't always be blamed on the passer. Many times the receiver doesn't move towards the ball, but the defender does so the defender gets to the ball first.

I also tried to teach pass fakes without success. I think that skill comes very slowly. It was funny though. I'd demonstrate a pass fake (fake high, pass low) and then I'd turn around and play defense on the passer. The kids would just hold the ball in front of their bellies and shake it (like it was some kind of musical instrument). It was hillarious now that I think about it, but a little frustrating at the time.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 07:12 

The younger kids are great aren't they!! IF they don't make you laugh you are taking this way to seriously. All you can do is to drill it.... with our high school kids the rule was.... pass fake every time you catch the ball IF you aren't in a position to shoot.

We ran this drill in our summer camps.... side line to side line dribbling ( vary the dribble ) when the get to the other side, they had to come to a jump stop... then reverse pivot (everyone knows the front pivot) come to a triple threat - I would then say, shot fake and they would do that and come back to the T threat... then I would say pass fake, they would do that and come back to the T threat postion, I would do this several times - then they would dribble back and we would repeat the process.

In games, we told our kids do NOT fight pressure, IF they are overplaying you, cut back door and go to the rim.,... make an L cut of some type and break out asking for the ball.... by the way, we had our kids freeze the defender by giving him a little bump. Our rule was... do NOT throw the ball away, take the 5 second call first... we can play D on that... we cant defend break a way layups.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 07:16 

By the way, we ran what we called a MAN MAKER drill..... this is tough on the kids but it teaches them HOW to get open.

3 kids on the end line on offense - Players A
3 kids at the free throw line on defense... Players B kid in the middle has a ball
Middle kid throws the ball to the kid in the middle and the drill begins

A must get the ball over half court without a dribble and they must stay in their lanes - the court is divided into thirds

Your D will get better and your O will learn how to protect the ball and make good decisions... it will teach them HOW to get open... remember, NO DRIBBLING.