All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 May 2010, 23:01 

Hi,

I seen a lot of great answers you guys give on your forums, so I was hoping you could help me with my question...

I have played the wonderful sport Basketball since grade 4 and am in grade 10 now, trying to start training for my grade 11 senior season.

But anyways, in grade 6 when I was playing on a city league team, my coach that year told me that I was one of the best players, so I had no problem shooting, trying to beat my opponent one-on-one and bringing it to the hoop. But now with my cousin in high school, she is the best player on the team because she always takes the shots and drives A LOT. I wouldn't say she's too selfish but it bugs me, and am not sure if it bugs my other team mates 'cause she doesn't always make it or it gets stolen from her. So when I see a chance to get into the lane, I want to take it but I don't because I am afraid of being selfish, so I pass the ball. I think that I might mess up and my team or coach will think the same as I do of my cousin, sometimes. I'm not exactly sure if selfish is the word to describe it, but I am just nervous/afraid of bringing it in, or shooting that 3 pointer. My mom told me that her co-worker told her son to be selfish, and he turned out to be a great player that pretty much everyone my hometown knows.

Is it wrong to be afraid of being selfish?

PostPosted: 17 May 2010, 06:28 

Kathyryn,

Are you the same age as your cousin? I would like you to think about this honestly - IS she truly the best player OR is that in your mind? ( OR hers )
How do you compare yourself with her? Do you shoot as well? Can you take the ball to the basket as well? Can you pass and dribble as well? How about defensively?

Years ago I had a transfer student from Yugoslavia.... a very nice player - for the first week of practice he NEVER took a shot unless it was in a drill...... finally I stopped the practice and asked him why ne never shot the ball. He told me that in his country he played with older guys and they never let him shoot. I told him that he is in America now, so shoot the darn ball. He said... " I LOVE AMERICA "

So, take a page out of his book, go out and play YOUR game, don't worry about your cousin... you can make each other better players, feeding off of each others success. IF you have a shot, take it, IF you have an opportunity to take the ball to the basket, DO IT! You can always kick it out or dish it to a post players. Play the game to your strengths and let the COACH tell you if you are doing something wrong.

It takes more than one player to make a team successful - so do your part. My better teams had more than one good shooter on it... its a lot harder to defend a team with multiple shooters, so relax, go out and play your game. I'm not sure that I would agree with your mom's co-workers about being selfish, that doesn't do anyone any good.... certainly NOT the team. Just play YOUR game.

As a coach IF I thought a player was being selfish, he/she would hear from me - but as a coach.... I want my better shooters to shoot Everybody has strengths, play to yours. I understand your feelings about this because you are going to be the new kid on the team.... relax, have fun, its a game, Play hard, Play smart and have fun. The coach will tell you IF you are doing something wrong.

PostPosted: 17 May 2010, 18:38 

I am the same age, but she has played a lot more basketball than I have, and many, many more awards than me. I believe she is the best player because last year she got the All-Star award last year, the only award because our Junior team came in second at our Zones and when coach presented it she received it points wise and her talent. This year she got the MVP, our team came in 1st at Zones and I got All-Star. But I recently learn to never try to be better than someone else, just try to be the best you can be.

Thank You for your advice too:)

I also realized that the BC Junior All-Native, I played on a different team than her. My bench wasn't the greatest but I love playing with the team. I averaged 15ppg and with her in high school, I had maybe 5-8ppg. I love playing with her though, around her I guess I just don't play my game. With your advice I will though..:D

PostPosted: 17 May 2010, 20:01 

Good luck, don't be intimidated by anyone... and - play your game, play to your strengths.

PostPosted: 20 May 2010, 07:45 

Kathryn,

I would listen to Coach Sar. He is giving you some great advice. I would also add, play with no regrets. You only get so many opportunities to play this game in an organized fashion. John Wooden defined success as giving something your best effort. I would encourage you to do the same. Play as hard as you can and make something happen. Whether that is for your teammates or yourself. Best of luck

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 14:22 

Thank you both:)

So I have been practicing going to the hoop more, especially with my left hand.
Do you guys know any drills or anything I can practice by myself? Or team drills we can do without our coach? There is maybe 5 or 6 of us who will be training for next season right now.

PostPosted: 22 May 2010, 13:22 

Look on the left side of this page, under Basketball Drills.... there are a lot of them there. There are drills and there are drills... do something that is going to help you improve on the specific skills that you want. Just don't run drills for the sake of running drills.
IF it is SHOOTING... look for shooting drills.... IF it is DRIBBLING .... look for those etc. Think about the drills your coach had you do, can you do any of those that will help you out?

I make that same suggestion to other coaches... run drills for specific reasons - to improve upon a skill.