All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 07:02 

18 players are tough to deal with. I'm not sure what your league rules are but I would think as a team they would want to be there. I had 18 players on my JV / Varsity team, we dressed 14 or 15... EVERYONE was there for every game. They helped with taking stats and just cheering their team mates on. Varsity played on Friday nights...... JV Saturday morning.... the kids that played in the Varsity game usually didn't play in JV games unless it was for a short period of time...... The Varsity kids were there for the JV game also - taking stats, running the scoreboard, and cheering their buddies on.
That entire squad also went to see the Freshman play... good team bonding and bonding for the entire program. You can make up any rule that you want, but the more rules you have the more you back yourself into a corner... so use them sparingly. You could limit their playing time.. not start them etc. These type of rules are a lot easier to enforce IF you have them from day 1...... a little harder to implement after the season starts.... but you can do it IF you think some kids are taking advantage.
The kids that show up are the ones that you know really want to play, the ones that come and go are in it for themeselves.... or just plain don't understand what it means to be part of a TEAM, YOU might have to sell them on this. What do the other teams do in your area? Where are you from?

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 07:46 

i live in Serbia, Belgarde...and here we have about 50 clubs, who work with young players, and we compete with each other....my club is one of beter organized clubs in Belgrade, and i want to my player be serius about basketball, and a team...but there is one thing.....every kid pay monthly for participating and training, so it is dfificult to have many rules...
C Sar what did you meen by "but the more rules you have the more you back yourself into a corner", is it good to have more rules, or bad thing....???
thank you for this personal point of wiev so far it was heplfull...
p.s. where are coaches, i would like more opinions.. ty

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 07:52 

What I mean is that IF you have a lot of rules the more the chances of the kids breaking them... keep your rules simple and IMPORTANT.... We had very few rules.... take care of academics first, be on time to practice... we called it Lombardi Time..... which meant 15 minutes early. I am retired and they still have that rule at my school... itrs called Demon time now.... all the sports use it. Act like a gentleman on and off the court.... play hard all the time regardless of the score.

You get 5 personal fouls... all I can get is a T.... you stay away from MY Ts and I will stay away from your personal fouls :-) Control your temper

There are several coaches here.... I'm waiting for their responses too.

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 08:39 

but if they don:t know the rules, how can they act??
i meen if they think that is fine if he don:t show - up on game to cheer his temamates, they won:t come at all, and won:t learn team work...

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 09:26 

I would agree with Coach Sar. I do not like to have a lot of rules on paper. It may open things up to more problems with players and parents. I like to keep my rules short and to the point.
But I would also add that I have expectation or guidelines for my players. Such as showing up early or showing up to games on time. If they expectations are not met the whole team may be punished or the player.
I feel like the less rules you have the less of a watchdog you have to become. As coaches we are to teach the game and teach life lessons. We are not there to browl beat them with a ton of rules.

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 10:01 

i agree, but how can they learn, if there is no consequences on what they do?
i prefer to talk with player, but if that is not good enough, then you must have rules for that...am i corect? or is there some better solution?

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 10:11 

The one rule is that I would want them there for each other .. all the time.... thats a given when it comes to TEAM sports. You have to be there for each other, othewise, who will be?

The less rules the better.... just pick out the most important things and then discuss them with the team and see what they have to say or what they can come up with. Don't back yourself into a corner.

Coach Hayden put it very well.....
I feel like the less rules you have the less of a watchdog you have to become. As coaches we are to teach the game and teach life lessons.
We are not there to browl beat them with a ton of rules.

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 10:21 

I never said you didn't have consequences. I just said limit the number of rules.
Depending on the age of your team, most players know how to behave in public or during games. If a problem continues, then I would suggest talking to the players individually or as a team. If the problem continues then I would suggest implementing a new rule or punishment. Players must know you are in charge but they must also respect you.
You have to run your program as you see fit. You must coach your style, not anyone elses. I personally do not like restricting myself or the players. But I am a firm believer in rules/expectation and accountability.

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 13:20 

Talk to your players about this -

T.E.A.M. (Together, Everyone, Achieves, More)

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 16:35 

thank you about everything....i will have more questions, when i remember, i will write...it is nice to have expirience coaches with who you can talk....