All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 12:49 

hey coaches hows it going?

what you guys think of a kid wanting to practice this summer and work on his game? what do you think is the best approach to this? am i going at this correctly?

he is 9 will be 10 this fall but says he wants to get better which i am allowing him to do at his option and time. i allow him to come get me when he wants to do it and the days he wants to which has been roughly everyday im off work which is 3 days one wk 4 the next wk and it may be 1 hr a day sometimes we may even play a cpl hrs and sometimes he may ask twice a day to go out and play so i dont think thats to much if its something he ask to doand yes we do other things like pass football baseball jump on his trampoline or go fishing or even he and his sister have relay races or play in dirt lol so this not all he devouts time to. i would like your opinion on that?

as far as what we work on is FIRST and foremost keep it fun. i preach that til blue in face.so i try fun stuff and things he enjoys but staying within fundamentals. we work on all aspects of game dribbling,shooting,passing,catching,free throws, even just good bball talk and sitiuations that we have seen on tv or even in my sons games. we try to make little games out of our drills with focus on praise on ever oppertuntity.as far as shots NO 3's i only allow him about 12 to 15 ft out and yes thats a task i hate 3 point line at this age but i do allow all shots i think a guard needs layups, jumpshots, a little runner in lane, freethrows, etc. dribble right hand and left side our motto is what we work on right give it to me left also but we keep it fun not affraid of mistakes just try your best also some days i tell him lets just shoot or play around the world or horse and just talk school or joke around but keep it fundamental etc.
i guess bottom line is this to much or is it ok as long as its at his choice and he wants to do it. as far as keep it fundamental i have to correct some things but i try to disguise how i do or do it in a way that doesnt really make him feel bad but just remind him so to speak . i would like to hear your thought and or suggestions

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 13:06 

OK, thats a lot to digest. First of all it sounds like you are doing all the right things....... with the #1 goal being having fun over the summer. When you work on certain things its good that you are trying to get him to do it the right way. No sense in developing bad habits.
You might check to see if there is a summer camp that he can go to so he can hear it from other coaches. Just a thought.
He is doing a lot of things and that is good.... he loves basketball right now, but who knows a couple years down the road. I would also suggest that he tries some fun moves... hot dog stuff maybe... let him make it up... just to have fun. Play a game of HORSE with him and you can do some wierd stuff too.... just for fun.

I would say that as long as HE is the one that wants to do this... no harm.... It sounds like you have read some of our posts regarding things like this... and you are on the right page. Good luck and let us know how it goes - for both of you. :-)

Tough being a parent sometimes isn;t it. Be happy that he wants to do things with you....

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 08:06 
Site Admin

Yeah, play different sports through out the year (soccer, baseball, swimming, martial arts, gymnastics, football, etc) too. That avoids burn out, reduces risk of injury from overuse, and improves overall athletic development.

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 12:42 

everything sounds great...keep it up.

may consider adding shooting drills in which you do drills which requires a score on made or missed shots. this may make it fun and competitive.