All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 06:08 

To all my fellow coaches: this is Coach Mac and i come to you on bended knee. I have been asked to coach a faculty team here at Chongqing University China, in the up and coming ego and face saving basketball tournament. Now, I have coached every level of basketball including presently Professional, however, never, and I repeat never a team with this much genius for technology and so little athleticism. So coaches, you wanted a challenge I give this to you..I need a simple offense and i mean simple vs. a 2-3 zone. I am going to try to implement Coach Sars 1-3-1 match up zone. Most of the players are short, overweight wanna bees. Coach mac

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 06:48 

Mac,

This is about as simple as it can get.... we ran a 1-3-1 zone offense vs the 2-3.. put em where they aint.

You can utilize the short corners, screen, back screen and skip pass, hi low action, attack the seams and move the ball. I thought I posted some of this on here before, maybe Jeff and Joe have it? Tell your players to make sure that they are in passing lanes.

You are lucky that they play zones.... IF I was coaching vs you I would run you until you stepped on your tongue. :-) When I was coaching 7-8th grade kids and we played the dads at the end of the year.... I asked them if they wanted me to coach them so they can win or if I should play with the dads... they chose me to coach... all we did in the first half was push the ball and NOT worry about the score... they couldn't move in the second half.

As for the match up.... IF You have any questions feel free to ask.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 07:19 

Found them Mac....

1- ( a college coach said this at one clinic ) PUT EM WHERE THEY AINT

2- Screen the zone

3- Attack Seams (force two defenders to cover the ball... at least move towards it)

4- Skip Passes

5- Utilize the short corner

6- Run someone behind the zone - keeps the D turning their heads

7- Get the ball inside forcing the zone to collapse

8- Hi Low attack can be hard to defend

9 - Overload.... it almost forces the D to match up (m2m?)

10- Fast break and attack the zone before it has a chance to set up.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 20:51 

Thank you coach Sars...I will heed your advice...by the way the finals are tied up at 2 apiece. Next one is for all the marbles.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 20:53 

Good job so far - now go seal the deal! Good luck my friend.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 21:40 

Ken: I must say this to you, people like you are rare I don't think you realize just how many hearts you touch with your wise words, your thoughts and excellent advice. I realize you are retired but many other retirees just would not take the time to do what you do. I'm proud to call you my friend. Mac

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 06:01 

Mac,
Thanks for the kind words.... it was nice opening this up today and seeing what you wrote... from a person with all your experiences and education.... it means a lot. THANK YOU! It means a lot to hear this from you.
( Two Illinois Hall of Fame coaches said this about my assistant and I at a Regional Championship game.. " The coaches around here can thank God that Ken and Rick don't get a lot of talent, they would be in a lot of trouble. ") It's always nice seeing or hearing things like this from our peers..... they are the ones that really count.

I like reading your posts - I get to see things from a different perspective than mine - and who said you cant teach an old dog new tricks? :-)

I enjoy giving back to this great game that I enjoyed for so many years and when I see other coaches, adults and kids reach out for help... I do my best to offer some advice, hopefully they will listen to what we have to day, then take some of it and try to make it work in their situations.

We have a lot of experiences and knowledge to share - it would be a shame NOT to offer it to others. While we haven't heard from Ben in ages, he said something like - I taught him almost everything he knows about the game. I know that he has learned from others but it was nice seeing that in print.