All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 10:15 

I have been assisting with an AAU program that begin a year ago. I primarily have been helping coach 4th and 8th graders. Over the last six months, I have seen that the program is not really concerned with developement but instead money. Any kid can get on any team without tryouts. There are so many teams and few coaches that kids are not getting any better or learning the game. My final straw was when the head of our program sent kids down to a lesser team after they spent the whole year practicing and playing with us for some newer kids who had never played or practiced with us. This was right before a major tournament out of state. Needless to say parents were furious and kids were sad that they got sent down for kids who just got into the program. I don't plan on going back and am planning on starting an AAU team of 5th graders with no more than 10 kids. Has anyone else had a similar experience and what do you recommend in looking for talent and getting the word out for tryouts?

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 12:36 

I know a couple of good AAU coaches... let me talk to one of them and maybe I can put you in touch with one. He might have some good suggestions for you.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 14:13 

Coach K,

Take a look at this site -

www.glorybasketball.com

Charles L. Paxson, Jr., MD is the head coach of the U17 team I believe. If you would like to E mail or call him, give me your e mail address and I wll send that information to you.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 14:16 

I've coached girls AAU for 3 years now. I presently coach U-13 with my daughter being on the team.
I have seen AAU clubs that allow money to control everything and these clubs have run into trouble...financially.
Still, I see other clubs bent on winning and only winning. They recruit statewide, have tryouts and choose the best of the best with the goal of winning the states or going to the nationals.

I have 10 girls on my team who are just average girls who love basketball, want to have fun and who want to get better. No egos, no attitudes, no superstars. Yet we compete! Sure , we generally go .500 in our win/lose record but that is not apart of my goals.

My goals have been for 3 years:

1) Have Fun
2) Skill development/Player Improvement
3) Be competitive
4) Have Fun

I tell the parents these goals after our first practice every year...and yes..I intentional repeated "Have Fun" because youth basketball should ALWAYS be fun.

I think you are better off searching for another AAU club that puts it's players first ahead of money and wins. Search locally on internet, there must be many in surrounding towns, get involved, be the coach, set your own rules, goals and basketball philosophy. As for looking for talent, I network with other coaching contacts, I scout middle school games, I call parents, advertise on the web, local newspapers, schedule tryouts if needed at a local school. Take ownership and form the team that YOU want.

Best of Luck,

Coach A

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 22:45 

Thanks you all for the advice. I really appreciate it and plan on using your advice to search for kids in the area to play this fall. I pray that with my coaching experience and network of other coaches that I know that I can get a solid team together with "Supportive Parents". I think there are a lot of parents looking for smaller teams where their child can receive quality attention and skill developement.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 07:31 
Site Admin

I'm not sure I'm adding anything more than what was already said. But when on a budget word of mouth is usually the most effective. Have the kids you already know ask around. Have their parents ask around. Call the local HS coach and ask them. They almost always want good coaches that teach fundamentals to work with the young kids. They might know some people.

You could also have some practices (skill / player development stuff) with what ever players you can scrap up. Do them weekly. Then have your current players bring friends from school that are interested in basketball. Before you know it you'll have a team.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 08:13 

Thanks Jeff. Will do.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 14:39 

Coach K,

Jeff made a great point about word of mouth, also consider adding a website and use social media to gain some awareness. Website's now are free and easy to function, plus you can use it as a project management tool to let all players and parents know whats happening when its happening.

I actually placed all my plays, workouts, drills into a project management system that all the players/parents had access to and the kids could learn/study the plays at home on the computer.

Its just another way to communicate with your team plus this generation of kids embrace technology and would utilize it.

I am glad to hear your focus is on skill development, it has to be that way. Set a few core values for your team to live within and you'll be fine!

Dan
www.innovativeathletes.com

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 16:44 

Coach Sar wrote:
I know a couple of good AAU coaches... let me talk to one of them and maybe I can put you in touch with one. He might have some good suggestions for you.

Coach Sar, i see you try to help to coach K...
i would like to ask all you coaches..i live in europe,, and i would like to watch some college program for 3-6 months, if is possible to participate, not just watching.
does anyone know procedure, or what i need to look or who should i be asking this questions??
i am coach for 4 years and i coached 12-18 old players..i wanna learn more
ty

PostPosted: 22 May 2010, 13:18 

I would suggest that you talk to one of the local college coaches.... not sure if they would let you help but there is no harm in asking... IF you know one of them personally, your chances will be better. Good luck.