All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010, 10:07 

Thanks for all of your comments. I think no matter how you prepare, manage, deal with issues that come up during the year, you are not going to make everyone happy. To keep positive about this whole thing is the fact that all players at the end of every game or practice gave high fives and thanked me and 99% of the parents sent letters of email regarind their thanks for the past two years and wished I would consider coaching the Sr Boys. Oh well, got my feelers out for other teams.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010, 12:56 

Good luck, they never know what they are going to miss until it happens. Remember, when one door closes another door opens.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 10:46 

I've been coaching youth basketball for over 10 years now.

I find it absolutely vital in having a preseason mandatory parent meeting immediately following our first team practice. After that I send out updates 1 to 2 times a week via email. I've done this with
3rd grade park and rec leagues, 5-8th grade travel and even now with teen AAU ball.

During the parent meeting I address:

Meet and greet
My coaching philosphy
Objectives and goals
Player rules and conduct
Player expectations
Playing time
Practices, schedule,
Safety
Contact#'s
Offcourt team building activities
Parent expectations/ involvement

Best of Luck,

Coach A

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 11:57 

Coach A,

Great information......

I coached at the high school level and here are a few of the things I would add:

1- Eligibility requirements ( we got reports on a weekly basis )
2- School rules
3- District rules
4- I gave them the years practice schedule and games with times, which gym and opposing schools
(IF I was to do this today I would add a contact number of the school where we were playing)

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 11:58 

I like the manditory meeting, tried having one, three parents showed (two diferent occasions) so unless I caught them picking up,dropping off their kids at practice or games, the only way to ensure any contact is by email with a read receipt or phone calls. Both of those take more to organize and maintain than a meeting in my opinion. The question is what do you do with a manditory meeting that only half or a third of parents show?

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 12:26 

Ours was simple, your son cant play unless you make the meeting..... ( Of course, extenuating cirmcumstances will be taken into account) then you have to meet with the coach personally.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 13:52 

Would love to do that but when I only get limited numbers to tryouts 13-16 per year and am getting tired of playing in tournaments with 5-8 players. (even though this year we went to the Island Championships, placed 5th overall). SO, if I dont take a kids cause his parents don't show or return calls...... I would feel like I have let that kid and the other kids on the team down. I guess the middle ground wold be to hold a manditory meeting, if someone doesn't show try a call to the house, if that doesn't work a final email. Wellto me that is three strikes, they are done.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 15:29 

You are in a tough spot.... somewhere along the line you are going to have to take a stand. Play dirty, get thd kids to rag the parents. LOL :-)

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2010, 05:51 
Site Admin

Just a quick thought about the number of players you should have on a team. Bob Bigelow makes a very good point and arguement that most youth teams (middle school and under) have TOO MANY players on their teams.

In order for a kids to get enough playing time they must get at least 12 minutes in the game. Otherwise you're just giving the kid a cameo appearance. They just aren't getting better and you're fooling yourself if think you're getting kids enough playing time on a team of 10-15.

He says 8-9 kids is just about right and you should be playing lots of small sided games in practice anyway (2 on 2, 3 on 3, 4 on 4). This gives players more touches.

Anyway, without going into all the detail Bob Bigelow makes a very good point and convincing arguement. In little league baseball you always have 10-13 players and 9 of those kids get to players. But in basketball for some reason we have 2-3 times more kids than we need on the team.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2010, 14:45 

Not sure I agree with the numbers. My arguements are that we practice and scrimmage more than we play games. Are games for development or based on confirmation of what they've learned? Practices, scrimmages and exhibition games are for development, games are the cherry. I had a young player this year, first four times on the floor threw the basketball away as bad passes. I left him in, because I knew he would settle, he did - stole the ball twice, and both times went down on a fast break, two foot jump stop pump faked to watch the defender go flying by and got two easy lay-ins. Meanwhile senior players would run down go straight up sometimes get a basket get fouled or have the ball knocked out the other times. So that developing player in practice, worked harder and harder because of his little tastes in games, he got more and more playing time.

As my team spans two grade levels, I need to keep a rotation of players through. Yes they dont get exactly the same floor time in games. But as stated, we do scrimmage, practice all players equally. I would love to carry 12-15 but haven't been able to due to tryout numbers.

I think that as as players come and go from year to year, develop at different rates a player that may have been cut to keep numbers low in favor of maximizing floor time in games, may have been one of the better players the next year and maybe due to being cut stops playing? I firmly beleive that carrying 12-15 is best for the overall development of a program. Hey just wondering what percentage of college teams/high school teams that are developing a program carry 9 players? I don't think many. It should be the other way around, greater numbers younger (maximize exposure to the game) and as they get older Sr High, Jr College etc, then start to refine team numbers.

Just my thoughts on it.