All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 20:25 

Hello again, after playing through our North Zones, North Island Championship tournaments, we have placed 3rd in both, giving us a berth in the Island Championships.

I had to miss one of our games, as I had to work. That said my assistant coach informed me of something great. My youngest, smallest, and most inexperienced player went out on fast break, dribbled to the hoop with man right on him (1' taller). My player, came to a perfect two foot jump stop, pump faked and watched their big guy fly by. My assistant said he gently smiled, then laid the ball in, ran as fast back to play defence. WOW. I guess we are doing something right by these kids. I didn't even focus on the fact that we won, but by the little things we do. SO.......

It will be the first time in 20 years, that our Highschools' Jr Boys team has made it back to the Island Championships. We seem to have pulled it together playing very nice M2M defence, much better patience on offence and significantly less turnovers.

That said, with this momentous occasion, any recommendations for keeping the team focused? Do I try to focus them on the little things?

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010, 21:12 

Look back at your last few games and see where you need to clean things up. There is always something that you can improve upon -p might be a little thing but could make the difference in a game.

By the way - CONGRATULATIONS on the big W.

Something that we did at the end of every practice was to run "Situations" - the kids loved the competition and they learned how to react in difficult times.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 02:56 

Been a while since our final tournament, starting on our Under 14 program now. As for my Jr Boys team, we did go to the Island Championships seeded 3rd for the North Island. Played against Mid-Island #1 - played a good game, back and forth switched from M2M to a 3-2 zone depending on who was on the floor and defended very well. Offensively, we kept reminding the boys it was the little things, simple post or dribble drives that creates opportunities. It worked we won by 12. The next game was against, South Island #1 (very strong team) Coached by same guy that coached Steve Nash at St Michaels Univeristy School from Victoria. Very tough team, played an aggressive M2M defence denied ball/pass on every player. We ran picks and double picks but they switched very well, contained any penetration. Down by 6 at the half we were working hard ourselves on defence, but they drained us with their defence. Lost by 15. Then we played to see who would play for 3-4th overall (if we placed either we would be going to Provincials (State) but out of gas, no legs left, we fought hard but lost by 6. The last team that beat us went to Provincials and placed 14th overall.

Final record for the season 22-13 first time my school was at the Island Championships in close to 20 yrs. Kids learned lots, very positive feedback from players and parent group. So I guess I will be back next year.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 04:37 

Congratulations on a good year. Keep working on those fundamentals and the kids will get better every time they set foot on the floor.

As for teams that switch everything.... run little on big screens and then let the little guy (now covered by bigs) take them to the basket or make basket cuts beating their man on the cut.

Go to coaches clipboard and look for Double Up Open Post offense... we ran what we called a COUNTER and this worked well vs teams that switched everything.

Good luck next year.