All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 06:52 

Hey Guys,

I am new to the site so forgive me if this question has been already asked and or answered. I run a small consulting site for young players and I have been getting this question a lot lately and was hoping to hear some feedback from the coaching brain trust in here.

How does a young motivated kid overcome a lousy coach? One that doesn't care or show any genuine concern for his/her team and players? One that misses practice or doesn't make himself available anytime to his players?

I think getting perspective from you guys on how players should handle this would be great.

Here is what I posted for them, but I think we can always look to do better: [www.innovativeathletes.com]

Appreciate the help!

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 07:16 

Lousy coaches, like lousy parents and bosses, are a fact of life. We have little control of them, sadly. But as a player we can control how we react to them. Here are a few suggestions. Be open and honest with the coach about your concerns. They might not react positively, but many times they will. I believe that even the lousy coaches want to do a good job, but in many cases they lack training, are distracted by issues at work or in their family life, and in many instances once they realize their is a problem they will try to improve. Coaches can not improve situations if they aren't aware of the problem, whether it is an obvious one to everyone else or not.

Second, if there are any other adults involved (assistant coaches, parents ) then this would be the time for them to step up and support the player with encouragement. No person has ever said, "Gee I'm getting too much encouragement." Help the player focus on what he can control, his effort and attitude specifically. Acknowledge how the player keeps trying and working hard. Make that the focus for the season and not what the coach fails to do. The "victory" for the player this season might be staying positive despite a difficult situation. This lesson in learning mental toughness will be invaluable down the road as he faces other life's challenges.

Third, other adults involved might also approach the head coach with their concerns. This should be done face to face or at least by phone, NEVER by email.

Hope that helps.

Coach Mike Kayes
Stewards of the Game

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 07:18 

Mike,
I read your reply to these kids.... I think that is a great answer. I have had kids come to me talking about similar issues..... I always told them that they can ALWAYS learn something for every coach they play for.... it might be just one thing that is good... it might be a different philosophy or it might be a bad experience.

Thats pretty much how life is correct? There are good and bad in every area of life and sports (coaches) are no different. Everything we do defines who we become in our lifetime. I went thru several careers (office work, and different sales positions) before I went to college and got my degree and finally became a teacher / coach at 36. ( I started coaching at 21 ) all of these experiences had a lot to do with helping me to deal with people.

Unless this person is abusive, verbally or physically, hang in there and do your best. IF they are, report it to your parents first and get something done about it. IF it becomes so unbearable, maybe that team or program is not a good fit for you. JMO

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 07:24 

Thanks Mike, I agree it is very important to understand that these coaches usually do not coach basketball full time, they have other 'life issues' happening and its important to be aware this.

But at the same time, if you make a commitment to these players and parents, investing genuine energy in the cause should be required.

The lack of fundamentals we see across the nation by young players speaks to the lack of genuine investment by coaches around the country. Don't you think?

Thank goodness for sites like this where players can receive good information.

Dan
http://www.innovativeathletes.com

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 07:32 

Part of the problem is that they are usually volunteer coaches with little knowledge of how to coach / teach kids how to play..... and if their commitment is poor at this I wonder how they do at their career choices.

Someone needs to teach the coaches HOW.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 20:18 

Danny:

How does a young motivated kid overcome a lousy coach? One that doesn't care or show any genuine concern for his/her team and players? One that misses practice or doesn't make himself available anytime to his players

Ill make this short and sweet, there is no room for the type of coach described above in this game we all love. If any coach displays these qualities then don't hire him/her or don't even offer them a volunteer position. this does not describe a coach that is inexperienced or lacks the knowledge to coach, it describes a lazy, out of touch wanna be.

Coach Mac...

Ken: Im in the finals again against the same team again but...won the first game best three out of five..I think they are now overconfident and I can take advantage of that...Mac

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 20:31 

Guys like that should go lay bricks or something like that... they have no business working with kids.

Mac, Good luck in the finals... time to get out the smoke and mirrors. I'm sure that you have a few surprises up your sleeve after all these years.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2010, 00:22 

I learned a long time ago, more with bosses than coaches that we can learn alot from lousy bosses or coaches. We learn what not to do, who we dont want to be.

Regarding coaches, when we have crappy ones, we can use other tools until the situation is rectified and the coach in this case is replaced.. How do you do that? well this site is awesome for individual & team drills, YouTube, NCAA games where they still play defence. Suggest one here or ther, try things out in pick up games, practice, watch some of the better players on the team.

Although he had good coaches Larry Bird, grew up in a very difficult time with major family issues. He overcame all of that and although not an athletic player but he literally shot hundreds if not thousands of shots a month when and where ever he could. It is up to you, when someone doesnt teach you, teach yourself, motivate yourself.