All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 08:52 

I have a 12 year old son that has played AAU basketball on an elite team or 2 years. The team changed its practice gym to a location which is 40 miles from my home and they increase the number of out of state tournament which made it impractical for him to continue to play on the team.

I signed him up for a team that practices closer to my home however the team is not as talented. I 'm ok with the team being average because I thought it would give him an opportunity to be more of leader and build his confidence against lesser competition. He scored 21 points, 15 rebounds and 5 blocks his 1st game. The next game his playing time was cut to just 10 min of a 40 min game. I asked the coach why my son was not being used and he told me he was not aggressive enough in the post. I didn’t understand since my son scored half the team’s points and rebounds and was the only player to block a shot. The coach was defensive so I was polite to not offend. My son is the new kid so didn’t want to cause any problems.

My wife usually takes him to practice however last week I took him to practice and stayed to watch. The coaching of fundamentals is very poor. The team presses a lot which doesn’t work very well at 12U because most teams have guards that can break the press.

I said all this to say that this team is not a good fit for my son however there are not many options in my area. Should I continue let him play on this team or should I look at other options to playing on a team maybe more camps and open gym? He starts middle school next year so I want to make sure he is prepared. Please advice.
Thanks

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 10:09 

Thats another tough call.....
jt wrote:
. He scored 21 points, 15 rebounds and 5 blocks his 1st game. The next game his playing time was cut to just 10 min of a 40 min game. I asked the coach why my son was not being used and he told me he was not aggressive enough in the post.

IF this is NOT aggressive enough I don't know what is! This sounds more political than anything else. This does not sound like a good fit for your son...... I would go to the high school coach in your area... talk to him and ask him about where your son could play. camps etc. I would definately send him to the high school camp and any surrounding college campes that TEACH fundamentals along with some games.

You might think about a personal trainor / coach to help you son get better. You might get more bang for your buck that way.... instead of the AAU exerience and all the travel involved.

Is the team he is currently playing with an AAU team also?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 10:47 

Yes his current team is AAU. The overall organization is good its just the 6 grade team that has the problems and they dont have a 7th grade team. The team is coached by parents with limited basketball IQ and big egos. I dont care about wins/losses just want my son to be fundamentally sound. I will take your advice and do the camps.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 10:51 

Talk to the high school coaches..... look at a personal coach IF you can...

Take a look at this video too - I highly recommend this one

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/bigelow-youth-right-way.html

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 13:10 

JT,

Unfortunately this problem exists throughout our basketball society. That problem of course being lack of proper coaching at the youth level. It is imperative to teach proper skill development, basketball IQ, the 'right' way to play, etc... from a very early age, otherwise they develop bad habits which lead to a bad self perception. I always use the comparison to education, build a strong foundation of knowledge and basics and build onto them from there.

I am big on player self-awareness, which is constant and continual as a player and person. I am also a big believer of not playing AAU until your Sophomore year in HS, I think young players like your son should dedicate their time and energy into proper skill development.

The NCAA recently just passed a new rule in basketball recruiting, in it's most simple explanation: it does not allow college recruiters to attend any AAU events until July. So what is the point of playing AAU in April when you can wisely spend your time developing your individual skills. I only played AAU to get recognized by colleges not to just play as most players do now.

If you believe that this new coach and AAU team does not provide the proper teaching environment for your son, then there are plenty of other places for him to get it.

Does this help at all?

Dan
www.innovativeathletes.com

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2010, 07:59 

I want to say well done on being involved in your childs life and extracurricular activities. It sounds like you did the right thing, especially since your child is new to the team. Stay positive and keep telling your child to work hard when given the chance. I think all of the coaches gave great advice. Don't let this one coach steal the joy your child has playing this great game.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 09:57 

[quote="Danny M "]JT,

Does this help at all?

Dan

Dan I found your information to be very helpful. I am going to focus more on skill development and less on playing games.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 09:59 

Coach Sar wrote:
Talk to the high school coaches..... look at a personal coach IF you can...

Take a look at this video too - I highly recommend this one

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/bigelow-youth-right-way.html

I got the DVD and it was well worth it. Every youth coach in America no matter the sport should have this dvd.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 13:40 

JT,

I'm glad that you liked this DVD - I agree with you... EVERY youth coach should have this! There are a lot of youth coaches that are volunteers that just don't know how to teach fundamentals and in what order.

Sometimes the problem lies in the people that are in charge of youth sports.... they would find out that they might HAVE to do things the RIGHT WAY.

Good luck.... I wish you and your son well.