All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2010, 19:22 

One thing my Dad thinks I need to work on is shooting,passing and defending against bigger and stronger players.
Any tips.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2010, 08:30 

Hey Ben -
The easiest way to defend a bigger player is to stop him from getting the ball - I know, easier said than done.
Take him out of his comfort zone.... make him receive the ball further out from where he usually wants to get it.. make him do something he doesn't want to do.... know his favorite move and make him do sometihng else... IF he likes to go right..... force him left. Go to school on him and learn what he does and then make him do what you want him to do....... I used to call that "picking your poison" IF he is going to beat you its going to be your way.
I'm not sure how quick you are, but IF you can get in his face (even with him having a live dribble) and still stay with him... you will be his worst nightmare.... and once he picks up his dribble - lock up on him, don't give him any breathing space.... and you will know when you are in control when he pivots away from you to alleviate your pressure.
IF he is trying to feed the post from the wing... get in his face and make him put the ball on the floor... its a lot harder to feed the post when you are dribbling. IF he POSTS you up, my philosophy would be to DEAD FRONT HIM and lean on him (keeping your balance) IF he gets the ball in the post .... get in his face and take away his pet move ... force him to use his counter and hope you get help. Challenge his shot WITHOUT fouling, you don't want to bail him out and put him on the line.

Thoughts? Is that clear enough?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2010, 08:37 

Forgot something.... as for shooting and passing... use your qucikness to create space. If you lose your dibble and he is close.... bump him and step back to create space... you can do the same thing if your dribble is available... bump him, create some space and when he tries to recover, blow by him. The crossover move is a smaller players best friend and I know that you use that move.

You are a smart kid... use your intelligence on the court too...... I had some small point guards on my varsity teams.... they knew how to avoid problem areas... trap zones.. when they saw another playing coming up to trap - they would back out and pass the ball.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 06:52 

Ben,

Can you clarify the problems you are having shooting & passing vs bigger and stronger guys right now? Or at least how your dad sees it.

Thanks

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 08:43 

balls getting tipped on passes, not being able to get my shot, guys running over me when im on defence

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 09:08 

Well, nature will take care of this Ben.... be patient.... lets talk about the things you have control of..

Passing: Utilize a lot of pass fakes... fake high, pass low, fake low, wrap around pass or past the ear.

Shooting: Let the shot find you..... but if you are in a position to shoot and of course everyone loves to block the smaller guys shots... so use that to your advantage... give a good head and ball fake... get them up in the air... if your dribble is live, go around them... if its dead..... and you want to shoot it... lean into them, that should draw the foul. If your dribble is live (here is something else you can do) bump them and step back, when they close out to recover, go past them.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by being run over on D - don't the refs call that IF you have a good defensive position? I don't know what your personality is like... and I sure would hate to try and change that - meaning - I don't want to make you mean.... but you do have to protect yourself... even on defense you can keep your forearm out along with your elbow... let them run into that a few times .

What does your dad think you should do regarding getting run over on D? What does your coach say? I don't want to go against anything that either one of them want.

What do you think so far? And let me know what they say. Stay in touch.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 16:37 

on d like bigger guys will just run over me and they still call the block even if theyre forearm is out

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 18:42 

So, IF you take a dive they call the foul on you? Give a little voice into that fall.... OHHHHhhhhh!!

I could say to go for steals as long as you are going to get called for a foul.... but I sure hate to see you create bad habits.... Keep playing good position, as you get older and play at a higher level the refs will be better and then you WILL get the call.s

Hang in there.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 16:58 

Ken: Ben needs to know and in a matter of fact way that not all men are created equal. We cant all be blessed with height, strength, quickness and jumping ability. I am 5'8" and weigh a paltry 180 pounds but played semi-pro hockey for several years. Did i get bumped, stuck with sticks, cross checked, boarded, out muscled out skated and had my ass kicked in several fights???...... of course, but if you are not given those God given gifts, and you want to survive in this very rough and fast game of hockey or basketball or even life, you MUST find a way to get the job done or just simply roll over and let the gifted walk all over you. Its called being resourceful. Find a way my young friend..coach Sars has given you sound advice on how to do the things the smart way given your limited abilities, now its up to you to use your intelligence your court sense your awareness and what is being said to you to get the rest of the job done. We can give you fundamental advice and psychological advice but we cant play the game for you. You made this team with grit and determination are you going to give the coaches that selected you any reason to think they made a mistake??? remember this, coaches are not interested in excuses, they are only interested in results. Coach Mac

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 19:41 

Ben,

Mac has given you some sound advice... be a little more hard nosed, I know you can play the game... show your coaches that. Look up Norm Van Lier from the Chicago Bulls.... he had a nasty part about him.... he didn't take and garbage from anyone.
Maybe this is a good lesson for you.... that to make it against those kind of guys... you have to get down and dirty.... HARD NOSED.
I hope the suggestions I gave you will help... let us know if they are working... by the way, you can use your dribble to give yourself a better angle for passing too.

How are things going Ben?