All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 12:12 

Good afternoon,
my son just ended his jv season, he's about 6'3 and 160 lbs., he had a rather inconsistent year, he's a good shooter, a decent but not great ball handler, with great jumping ability, but his overall physical strength is still improving. He's 16 yrs. old,, and i ( dad) would like any suggestions for camps, work out regimens etc. or any ideas to help him.
thanks
FC

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 11:25 

what position does he play?

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 11:51 

AAU basketball is starting soon. Do a web search for a local AAU club nearby that he can play for. The games are intense and the competition good at these tournaments. It would be great experience for him to compete against good talent and playing with new teammates.
Likewise, search for a local boys summer basketball camp. Usually local colleges have there own summer camps.

Lastly, he must put time in on his own. In the driveway or at a park.
Work on his weaknesses and reinforce his strengths. You mentioned he is not great at ballhandling so he must work on this every day, weak hand twice as much as his strong hand.
This spring and summer have him take at least 200 shots a day, work with him, rebound for him, charts his shots to track improvements.
Also you should contact his JV coach and ask about what he feels your son should work on and if the coach can recommend any local summer camps.

Good Luck!!

Coach A

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 12:18 

tarzanboy wrote:
what position does he play?

actually , he jumped center, but played the small forward position

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 13:16 

I agree. AAU is the first place I would start...If he is going to play post, I cannot recommend camps. If he is going to be a shooting/ball handling forward. My son and daughter both went to Dick Baumgartners shooting camp in Indiana. It is a great place to get your shooting form fixed or started.

My son also went to point guard college, which is really great for all positions IMO, but especially for shooters and handlers.

Point guard college was very intense and geared toward older kids. They teach a lot there. I was very impressed.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 14:50 

thanks for the info
tarzanboy wrote:
I agree. AAU is the first place I would start...If he is going to play post, I cannot recommend camps. If he is going to be a shooting/ball handling forward. My son and daughter both went to Dick Baumgartners shooting camp in Indiana. It is a great place to get your shooting form fixed or started.

My son also went to point guard college, which is really great for all positions IMO, but especially for shooters and handlers.

Point guard college was very intense and geared toward older kids. They teach a lot there. I was very impressed.